13 year-old on Everest

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sun May 23, 2010 8:34 am

Chewy wrote:Some of the complaints in this thread are pretty ridiculous.
What should I do, blow up like a monkey and applaud this performance? If I do not share the enthusiasm of each other, this does not mean that I am incapable of thinking for myself. My oppinion is ridiculous? Probably, but at least it exists because I expressed a view. Mine. Keep your courtesies, please.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Sun May 23, 2010 10:41 am

Mihai Tanase wrote:
What should I do, blow up like a monkey and applaud this performance? If I do not share the enthusiasm of each other, this does not mean that I am incapable of thinking for myself. My oppinion is ridiculous? Probably, but at least it exists because I expressed a view. Mine. Keep your courtesies, please.

+1

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Sun May 23, 2010 1:31 pm

Good for him. I'm glad he's safe. Now the mom inside of me can relax a little. :D

It's OK to worry about each other and it's OK to view an opinion... that's what makes us human afterall.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Sun May 23, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm wondering what he'll do when he gets back home....ride his bike around the neighborhood? go skateboarding? go to the mall?

:wink:

Lolli

by Lolli » Sun May 23, 2010 1:50 pm

JakobFisker wrote:Circus Everest has done it again. People must be joking to even mentioning this kid and full scale alpine climbers in the same sentence.

Where'in lies the difference between them? Please explain for me, being a bit slow, I cannot see other than this kid is an alpine climber.
Age isn't exactly a prerequisite. Performance is, as I see it.

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sun May 23, 2010 3:08 pm

Lolli wrote:
JakobFisker wrote:Circus Everest has done it again. People must be joking to even mentioning this kid and full scale alpine climbers in the same sentence.

I agree with you, Lolli, except this point : Everest is not the best place to assert its mountaineering qualities and abilities for a puber climber.

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sun May 23, 2010 3:19 pm

tigerlilly wrote:I'm wondering what he'll do when he gets back home....ride his bike around the neighborhood? go skateboarding? go to the mall?

To school :twisted:

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun May 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Amazing how no one took into consideration the young mans brain development in all this. O2 deprivation for an extended amount of time and all.

But who cares, right. After all, it is that we must achieve the summit at costs by God.

Oh, and let's not forget the millions that will be made after the fact with all the advertisement, sponsorships and of course the #1 NY Best Seller book that is most likely already to be published by the end of this trip.

Unbelievable what this lifestyle has evolved into.

What the fk happened to just going out and having some safe fun with a couple of buddies?

no avatar
Chewy

by Chewy » Sun May 23, 2010 4:05 pm

Mihai Tanase wrote:

I'm not interesting telling you or this family what to do. If you want to make an endless stream of posts stating the same thing over and of that's great. Good for you.

I do find it interesting how you immediately assumed I was referring to you. You can state your opinion all you want, but I will also state mine. If you disagree or dislike my opinion that's not my problem.

The most pathetic posts I've seen in this thread (and I haven't read every post) are the ones complaining about how wealthy this family is. I don't know if they're wealthy nor do I care, because it is none of my business.

Have a good day with your monkey.

Lolli

by Lolli » Sun May 23, 2010 4:05 pm

Mihai Tanase wrote:
Lolli wrote:

I agree with you, Lolli, except this point : Everest is not the best place to assert its mountaineering qualities and abilities for a puber climber.

I can agree with you, Mihai, but it wasn't his first. He has climbed them all.

"The Seven Summits – Mountains We’ve climbed:
Africa- Kilimanjaro – July 22, 2006
Australia- Kosciuszko – April, 2007
Europe/Russia- Elbrus – July 11, 2007
South America- Aconcagua – December 30, 2007
North America- Denali – June 18, 2008
Oceana- Carstensz Pyramid – September 1, 2009
"

He didn't learn climbing on Everest. Kosciuszko sure isn't hard, and Kilimanjaro is a touristgoal (for the fit ones). Step by step.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun May 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Lolli wrote:He didn't learn climbing on Everest. Kosciuszko sure isn't hard, and Kilimanjaro is a touristgoal (for the fit ones). Step by step.

So did Dick Bass.....

***It is going to be really interesting to see how many millions of dollars he and his parents will eventually make after all this.

Cy Kaicener

13 year old on Everest

by Cy Kaicener » Sun May 23, 2010 4:24 pm

I just googled 13 year old on Everest and there were about 2,090,000 links :wink:
I saw this comment on another forum - He may have been guided, but I think he still had to move his own legs. :)
He is in advanced base camp now (edited)
Last edited by Cy Kaicener on Sun May 23, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lolli

by Lolli » Sun May 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Who cares? (About the money, not Cy's post)
Good for him. Good for his family.

Chief, I thought that was the American Way? Which you defended with your life?
Building up a fortune with one own hands, by one own's achievements?

Seriously though, sadly enough, I dont think climbing ever will be a way to build a fortune. Besides, I do think this kid has the bug, and he'd do it anyway. Maybe the money he will raise by it, will allow him to continue to new goals, new climbs.

Live and let live.
Who are we to judge?

no avatar
Mihai Tanase

by Mihai Tanase » Sun May 23, 2010 4:40 pm

Chewy wrote:
Mihai Tanase wrote:

I do find it interesting how you immediately assumed I was referring to you.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Sun May 23, 2010 5:55 pm

The Chief wrote: ... After all, it is that we must achieve the summit at costs by God.

Oh, and let's not forget the millions that will be made after the fact with all the advertisement, sponsorships and of course the #1 NY Best Seller book that is most likely already to be published by the end of this trip ...

What the fk happened to just going out and having some safe fun with a couple of buddies?

Not to worry, Chief. It was just a sweet family outing. It won't even cross their minds to cash in on it :wink: :

"The first thing, they all hugged each other and said, 'I love you, I can't believe we're finally here' and started crying," said Rob Bailey, the team's spokesman, by phone from the United States.

It's never been about setting a record, besting anybody else. I don't think it ever dawned on them to say, 'Oh my gosh, Jordan, you're the youngest to get up here,' Bailey said."

PreviousNext

Return to News