Early June in the Pecos

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
aggiegeog

Early June in the Pecos

by aggiegeog » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:26 am

We are looking at a 4/5 night trip in late May, early June to the Pecos. We are planning on hiking out and back from our family cabin on Highway 518 at Angostura.
We are thinking about hiking up through the forest up to the ridge between Jicarita and Truchas and hiking along the ridge a ways before camping. Then on to Chimayosos and N Truchas camping down at Truchas Lakes. The next day we plan to head back up to Medio Truchas, Middle Truchas and South Truchas; from S Truchas we would head down the south ridge back to the forest and camp at Truchas Lakes again. On fourth day we would stay on the low trail to bypass the Truchases and Chimayosos before regaining the ridge and then camping at some point at one of the lakes probably. On the last day we plan to climb Jicarita the head down by Serpent Lake and back home to the cabin.
How do yall think the snow conditions will be at this time, I anticipate a decent amount considering the large amount of snow this winter? I anticipate temps down around 20 or so at night up high and not much precip though that has not been the case the past few Mays.

aggiegeog

by aggiegeog » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:22 am

Looks like winter is still in place up high and even in not so high spots. I have been watching the NWS point-forecast for Truchas Peak, and it seems as if there has been a chance for snow almost every day this month with temps rarely topping 30. Hard to really know how accurate that is. Looking at the area web cams it seems as the snow is holding; looks to be snowing now at Angel Fire Resort base at 8600ft.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

Re: Early June in the Pecos

by Dan Shorb » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:39 am

Ummmm
Last edited by Dan Shorb on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

Re: Early June in the Pecos

by Dan Shorb » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:06 am

d_shorb wrote:
aggiegeog wrote: and back home to the cabin.
How do yall think the snow conditions will be at this time, I anticipate a decent amount considering the large amount of snow this winter?

I'll gab your ear off for a sec on this topic, I mean, since I have vast, immeasurable knowledge and an untempered will to share it.

Uhhhhhhh....

We sure have gotten a lot of snow this year (everywhere), so I think I'd share your caution. With that said, two things:

First, is there a way I could marry into your cabin... I mean... family?

Second, the snow line is currently at 10, 500'.
Thus, my super duper (read 'demi-god') spidey-sense tells me most folks (smaller than a baby beluga) would be able to manage the snow on any given day (even with inexperienced kids), based on it thawing out as each day progressed, so that the snow by mid-day (especially if you have some boots on the first couple of people in line to kick platforms) should be easy to cross if there is any. I was just up there and I found that to already be the case. Also, I found that huge areas and most of the trails and ridges only had snow below treeline, which would lead me to ask 'what elevation within the treeline will the snow be?' I think above that you'll be able to have fun picking routes around the patches if need be.

Do you guys bring hiking poles? cause sometimes they give kids and other inexperienced folks a bit more balance and stability on crossing swollen spring streams and snow patches.
PS I'm jealous.

Here's my recent trip report with some pics of that area to judge the snowpack:
http://www.summitpost.org/album/617167/Truchas-Spring-Ski-April-2010.html

aggiegeog

by aggiegeog » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:01 am

Awesome, great report. That really helps me figure out what route I wanna take. Now I can go back to my obsession over Google Earth with a much better idea of what I am looking at. Now I really wish that I had taken advantage of the ski resort being just down the road from our cabin; I will definitely have to learn to ski soon. From this I am expecting the problems to be: stream crossings, snow between 10-treeline and snow on the slopes; looks like the ridges will be relatively dry and brisk. I am hoping for a warm spell in the next month then cooler temps for my trip to make stream crossings easier.

aggiegeog

by aggiegeog » Sat May 01, 2010 1:10 am

Any ideas on crossing the ridge between North and Medio Truchas? I am thinking it may be best to go down to Truchas Lakes and back up; depending on timing we may end up camping down there anyway.

aggiegeog

by aggiegeog » Tue May 25, 2010 7:02 pm

Heading up next week, weather looks good. Seems like its been warm enough for it to really melt except up high. Sounds like its been all rain except maybe some snow above 10,000ft with last few storms.
First choice on route is Jack's Creek up to Trailrider's Wall through Truchas group, follow ridge to Jicarita then down through Angustora. Other options are to start at Santa Barbra Campground or somewhere similar, or to do an out and back from Angustora.

aggiegeog

by aggiegeog » Thu May 27, 2010 7:59 pm

Heading up tomorrow, any tips on snow conditions. Talked to someone up there and they said its in the 60s around 9000ft, but they saw tons of snow up high. Sounds like slushy deep snow in the trees and high rivers.

aggiegeog

by aggiegeog » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:46 pm

How is it looking up there after this warm period? Was up there recently and got into deep snow by around 11,200ft. Probably going back next week.

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)