Second-Hand Rock Pro

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
battledome

Second-Hand Rock Pro

by battledome » Wed May 26, 2010 6:30 pm

I posted a similar question a few months back... but here it is again. I'm looking at buying some used climbing gear. Specifically, I'm looking at some used cams and nuts. I'm a bit wary, but things seem to be well cared for. If it were you making the purchase, how would you judge whether or not the pro was in good enough condition?

OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Wed May 26, 2010 6:34 pm

I have bought harware second hand before, and nothing bad ever happened. Just make sure you inspect it really well for obvious damage. There are people that will tell you that there can be micro fractures and all that jazz on dropped gear. Usually if that is the case, you should be able to see damage from where they where dropped. I probably would not buy anything from a stranger that has taken a fall, but even with that it still could be good gear.

Just use you common sense, and inspect it really well, and ask lots of questions. (how many falls, how old, how much use.)

no avatar
ZethKinnett

by ZethKinnett » Wed May 26, 2010 6:49 pm

If you think about it, most everybody climbs on used gear unless you're going out and buying new gear for every trip. They should have carfax for climbing stuff - "climbfax".

Return to Gear