anyone been up Alpspitze recently

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
SteveViney

anyone been up Alpspitze recently

by SteveViney » Fri May 28, 2010 4:51 pm

Planning a trip out to Garmisch tomorrow. Was planning to take Kruezeck bahn then head up. It looks like a lot of snow up there form the webcams. Anyone know if the cables on Alpspitze klettersteig or the route up via Schongange are clear of the snow?

WouterB

by WouterB » Fri May 28, 2010 6:48 pm

A month ago there was a lot of snow, and from what I heard it's snowed in the last couple of weeks.

SteveViney

by SteveViney » Fri May 28, 2010 8:10 pm

WouterB wrote:A month ago there was a lot of snow, and from what I heard it's snowed in the last couple of weeks.

I noticed the Alpspitzbahn re-opens on Wednesday so was sort of assuming they timed that with a period when hiking is possible again. With Thursday being a national holiday in Bavaria I reckon the place will be packed with walkers.

I will go and take a look, if there is too much snow to make good progress I can always stay lower.

SteveViney

by SteveViney » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:05 pm

I was up there on Sunday, still lots of snow. The klettersteigs are officially closed. There were a lot of avalanche type sounds above me in the fog. Thermometer was 9degC and raining at Alspitzebahn bergstation

Return to Europe