Need backpack to carry essentials

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Fri May 28, 2010 1:57 pm

School bag? It won't take much, I'm sure he has or could borrow many things that will work.

If you're really looking to buy something, you'll have to pick out other possible uses to narrow it down.

nartreb

by nartreb » Fri May 28, 2010 3:21 pm

So what's your question? Afraid that if he uses the wrong bag something dreadful will happen? It's a bag, it should be strong enough to hold a bottle of water and big enough to also hold a windbreaker, ideally it should have comfortable shoulder straps, end of story. Borrow a school bag, don't bother buying anything until he decides he likes camping and wants a "real" bag that will hold his tent, sleeping bag, etc.

Actually, if he really wants to enjoy his weekend, he should carry his gear in a briefcase, or in a handkerchief on the end of a stick over his shoulder, or two trash bags balanced on a pole over both shoulders. Any of those would entertain his friends much more than the boring backpacks or messenger bags they'll probably bring, without causing much discomfort.

TheOrglingLlama

by TheOrglingLlama » Fri May 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Bag ? No, I would recommend this instead -

:mrgreen:

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:55 pm

reddog115

by reddog115 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:11 pm

I just bought the Osprey Talon 33 for day hikes. It's probably too big for just essentials but I like the fit. The Talon 22 might be the right size for what you're looking for.

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:28 pm

jschrock wrote:
It's just a bag with straps on it.

Like this?

Blair

by Blair » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:06 am

As said before, a school bag will do the trick. If he is car camping he wond be hawlin up a bunch of gear...

Grab whatever you have in the garage or borrow somethin from a friend. He should be fine

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:31 am

Duffel bags, light suitcases, and other luggage is fine for car camping. A school book bag will work for day hikes, just big enough for water, lunch, a rain poncho and a lighter.

sealevelmick

by sealevelmick » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:19 am

Dang! some serious razzin going on! cool. cool. anyway-
as for daypacks- and i am really only writing this because i had my last day pack for 6 years, had it stolen out of my car in santa cruz, went almost a year without a replacement using all kinds of various and inadequete (sp?) substitutes while frequently shopping for a new one and was continually dissappointed by all the nonsensical trash that is being pedaled out there, until i found... the marmot half dome. seriously. i know its sleazy to be such a booster but its a good pack- enough but not too much. i use it 5 days a week.
so, to the op, i would say find it on the internet and buy it. (uness you live near no ca!) 80 bucks, kind of steep, but for something you might end up using a lot, well if it were too cheap, or even worse too expensive (w a bunch of useless features) well then you would just be reminded of that all the time.

Return to Gear