Father dies on Matterhorn Peak

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
The Chief

Father dies on Matterhorn Peak

by The Chief » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 am

Sad news!

He was with his 10 and 15 yr old boys yesterday, attempting to ski a line down Matterhorn Pk.

Apparently the 10 yr old got in a jam and dad tried to help him but fell some 90' trying to help him.

The 15 yr old had to ski down to camp, leaving the dad and brother behind, to get help.

What a nightmare for these two young boys, the Mom, and the rest of the family to say the least.

RIP

More info here....

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum ... rhorn-Peak

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:27 am

Nightmare is right for the surviving family. Condolences to them. If it were me, I would want it to be me rather than one of the kids. Parental instinct at work here.

Brings to mind the threads and articles here on SP regarding doing challenging outings with your children. No matter how careful you are, there's always that risk....the mountain doesn't care and all that. Just awful.
Last edited by Augie Medina on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

kamil

by kamil » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:28 am

Bloody f***in hell, why? Feeling so sorry for the poor kids and the wife :(

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:12 am

kamil wrote:Bloody f***in hell, why? Feeling so sorry for the poor kids and the wife :(

What exactly are you saying here?

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:58 am

wow. very sad news. very best wishes to the two sons.

seanh

by seanh » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:12 am

I was with a group of 3 other people that summitted Matterhorn Peak Sunday morning. I distinctly remember passing a family that matches the description on our trek out. I even remember saying, "have a good ski" or something along those lines as we passed. What horrible news.

jareds

by jareds » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:48 am

incredibly sad, he sounds like the coolest dad.

inconsolable

by inconsolable » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:11 am

Neophiteat48 wrote:
kamil wrote:Bloody f***in hell, why? Feeling so sorry for the poor kids and the wife :(

and what in the world is unclear? do you not feel sorry for the family? WTF????

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:25 am

inconsolable wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:

Was my point, wanted this guy to come out with his REAL point. Those kids have a tragedy that I couldn't fathom. His wife will ask why, what could I have done, why did I let them go? She'll ask "what if's", I hope she has the support around them that will provide the needed love and stability that they need. My heart goes out to them

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:39 am

Neophiteat48 wrote:
inconsolable wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:

Was my point, wanted this guy to come out with his REAL point. Those kids have a tragedy that I couldn't fathom. His wife will ask why, what could I have done, why did I let them go? She'll ask "what if's", I hope she has the support around them that will provide the needed love and stability that they need. My heart goes out to them

Here we go again.

Please DO NOT START another shitfest takeover of a thread and start to dictate how we all need to properly feel for this sad situ.... don't.

Thank you.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:01 am

The Chief wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:
inconsolable wrote:
Neophiteat48 wrote:

Here we go again.

Please DO NOT START another shitfest takeover of a thread and start to dictate how we all need to properly feel for this sad situ.... don't.

Thank you.

Here you go Chief......"sad news"......"RIP"
Guess that's all that can be said

jbetoo

by jbetoo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:54 pm

Definitely think I know the area where this could've happened. RIP and my thoughts go out to those involved.

Diggler

by Diggler » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:19 pm

God, that's tragic. How traumatic that would be for the kids... I'm glad that they got out of it 'all right,' esp. the 10 year-old. They, & their fallen father, are in my prayers.

Return to California