White Mountain (CA) road conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
HeyItsBen

White Mountain (CA) road conditions

by HeyItsBen » Mon May 17, 2010 7:29 am

Rangers say the road still has a good amount of snow, can anyone confirm? Looking to get some pre-acclimitization mountain biking/camping in :D

dshoshone

by dshoshone » Wed May 19, 2010 5:20 pm

As of now the road is open to Schulman Grove

yaknjorgl

by yaknjorgl » Wed May 19, 2010 8:27 pm

talked to the white mt research station guys that open the road. he said he hasn't made it to crooked creek yet - that's only half-way. it could take a while the drifts reach into the double digits sometimes. go to the research site for up to date info.

bearbnz

White Mountain Road update

by bearbnz » Sun May 30, 2010 10:44 pm

Was up there Saturday (5/29) via Silver Canyon, and the road is marked closed at the Cripple(Crooked?) Creek Junction. Maybe a half-mile past that is a long snow drift that is likely impassable (I didn't try it on my motorcycle, probably could have made it, figured there was much more beyond that), that's as far as I went. To get even that far, to avoid 2 long snow drifts on a sidehill section of White Mountain Road, you need to take the WymanCanyon/Creek road and then stay left instead of right toward Wyman Creek. This will get you a couple of miles closer, but still a long way from the gate.

Lots of people up there, some MTBers and many hikers. Don't know how far any of them made it. Still cold up there, snow is melting very slowly.

Sean Kenney

by Sean Kenney » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:40 pm

The Jeffery Mine Cyn Rd on the westside? How is this road on standard clearence vehicles? I'm guessing since it sees occasional use for Black Eagle Camp, it might not be too bad to the entrance of the canyon at least.

Thanks.

Pics of the westside would be sweet too! :D

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:09 am

Jeffery Mine Canyon Road is way rockier than the White Mountain Road. High clearance is a must. Got up to the mouth of the canyon in the old Dodge Caravan, but it was slooooww going to avoid a flat.
There is ample room to park where the jeep road starts to switchback up the north side of the canyon. From there, hike up the canyon to the trail that climbs the south side of the canyon, or follow the jeep road to the trail that traverses the north side of the canyon. The two trails make a nice loop, also.

Return to California