Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Has anyone ever been to EVERY region of the Sierra?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Postby Clark_Griswold » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:23 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
Palisades79 wrote:Thanks to the vast improvement in gear. in the last 30 years I've been more places in the Sierra in Winter than I had visited in the prior 30 years mostly in the Summer and Fall. Many places are in fact more scenic and of course there is snow to melt for water. Every period is a golden age ,just keep getting out !

I agree. Studmiffin451, if it starts to look the same, go in another season...

Nothing wrong with winter, though it isn't for everyone. I used to like it a lot, but have started to find it less appealing. That could just be a seasonal thing. Either way, I still feel like there is a lot out there to confine one's self to one range. I guess you could argue that no one said anything about not visiting other places, just about visiting everywhere in the Sierra. While I had planned on going to them this year, I realized that what was really getting me excited what the chance to see other parts of the state and my Sierra peak list was only 2 or 3 peaks. So, I thought maybe I would do something else in August.

Now, I kinda wish I could go to Glacier NP. That area looks incredible. Actually, a lot of it looks like the Maroon Bells and Elk Range in CO, except being at low elevation, and I would think that since it is a larger area it is not as concentrated with people, and I understand there are virtually no summer storms. Not likely to go for a couple of reasons, but it looks great. I guess it really comes back to what really matters, if you enjoy it who cares what anyone else thinks.
Clark_Griswold

Postby mrchad9 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:33 pm

Righto. Agree with what you write above, and also have to agree with this in your original post... Italics my doing... Every place would be a bit much...

studmuffin451 wrote:It almost seems unhealthily obsessive to want to visit every possible place in the range.
mrchad9

Postby ksolem » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:33 pm

Munge - sent you an email...
ksolem

Postby granite4brains » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:55 pm

studmuffin451 wrote:I suppose that seeing every possible area of one mountain chain is an admirable goal, but I, no wait, We mean We think that it would be preferable to travel more and see other areas of the world or at least the American West. We would think that a trip to the Rockies might be in order, or further up the Pacific Crest into the Cascades. Seeing something new always helps broaden horizons and put things in perspective. Plus, its just fun.

From having looked at photos on this site of various Sierra peaks and areas, it seems that after a while it all starts to look the same. Sure, it is beautiful and there are nuances that an experienced traveler or mountaineer notices, but to some extent the exposed granite and barren high elevation areas do look very much the same. It almost seems unhealthily obsessive to want to visit every possible place in the range.

I think there is a lot of people on here that feel like me, when I say going to the Sierra is like going "home". Home always looks the same, but it's often where you feel best. There's something about that mountain range that resonates in some people's souls and they can never get enough of it. Other mountain ranges do the same for other people.

I've been to a few other places that definitely compare or surpass the beauty of the Sierra, but I often don't feel a need to go somewhere else. So, it's not that I'm obsessed with the Sierra, I'm just at home when I'm there :wink:
granite4brains

Postby testid » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:23 pm

1000Pks wrote:Excuse me, though, I've said enough to get me banned!

Speaking gibberish can get you banned? :shock:
testid

Postby mrchad9 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:31 pm

Thanks for the response- I will check out your website sometime- I've seen it before, but its been a couple years now. I remain curious about this ban.

I have to agree with what I think was your last point, if large groups are too lazy to go to the coolest places, I fully support that, I don't need to see a crowd when I'm out.
mrchad9

Previous

Return to California