Jetboil: Flash vs Classic?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
zachary_dc

by zachary_dc » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Not sure where you got your prices from, but the suggested retail prices of the flash and the classic are the same at $99.95. The only differences between the two are that the flash is .5 oz lighter, the plastic parts are see-through, and the logo on the exterior changes colors when the water is boiling. Same boil time and efficiency. One thing I don't like is how the plastic warps and changes size when being used and can be difficult to get the lid secure after use (same on both).

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:19 pm

I've seen two stores selling the classic for ~$65; it was also on sale at REI recently.

The Flash has integrated the piezo-electric starter into the burner. On my classic, the piezo-electric starter died after 5 years. I replaced the starter, but it seems to work fitfully. There is also a little folding 3-leg stand now that helps keep the cartridge a tad more stable, and lifts it off clod surfaces.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:59 pm

MoapaPk wrote:...and lifts it off clod surfaces.

The stand may do that as well, but I meant cold surfaces.

highlandvillager

by highlandvillager » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:03 pm

My advice - Get the classic. Yes, the piezo ignitor on it is nearly worthless. Mine only works when my hiking partner tries it as I'm saying "That's not gonna work; here's the stri..." However, most piezo ignitors are pretty unreliable, and you should always have a striker or some other ignition source anyway. It's also pretty obvious when it's boiling, so I don't think the indicator is worth paying for. The classic Jetboil is a great piece of equipment - very fuel efficient, lightweight, and compact.

Return to Gear