Problem with GPS

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
neghafi

by neghafi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Could you please specify the advanced points? I myself didn't find any prominence.
Series 60 are more bulky and consume more power with lower resulation of screen and even more expensive! it just supports an external (pathc) antenna.

I bought a Colorado300 but please tell me the point.

CheesySciFi

Re: Problem with GPS

by CheesySciFi » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:53 pm

kolbi2112 wrote:I have a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx and lately it's been giving me some strange results. Things like 12 mile trips are being logged as 60 mile trips. When I download the track info I see that some of the data points are all over the board, and some point-to-point data says I was traveling at ridiculous speeds (150+ mph) for brief periods of time. Anybody have similar issues or know what the problem might be? My warranty is up so I'm considering buying a new unit if I can't get this fixed.

Recalculating...

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:40 am

How can I save the time between waypoints with my Garmin Etrex Vista HCx :?:

Moni

Re: Problem with GPS

by Moni » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:32 pm

kolbi2112 wrote:I have a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx and lately it's been giving me some strange results. Things like 12 mile trips are being logged as 60 mile trips. When I download the track info I see that some of the data points are all over the board, and some point-to-point data says I was traveling at ridiculous speeds (150+ mph) for brief periods of time. Anybody have similar issues or know what the problem might be? My warranty is up so I'm considering buying a new unit if I can't get this fixed.

Try going to the website and downloading any updates to the unit. My Altimeter wasn't working right on mine until I did that.

Moni

by Moni » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:34 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:How can I save the time between waypoints with my Garmin Etrex Vista HCx :?:

The time a waypoint was collected is part of the log file, but you have to download it to see it. Take a look at GPS Utilities, a shareware program you can download. When you download your track log (not a saved track) as well as waypoints to it, date and time of collection are displayed.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:43 pm

No, they aren't showed, sorry. I only can see the time when the GPS points where taken but can't see the lap time between waypoints. I don't know if it's because I save my track before turning off my device

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:No, they aren't showed, sorry. I only can see the time when the GPS points where taken but can't see the lap time between waypoints. I don't know if it's because I save my track before turning off my device
You can easily see time between waypoints by opening the tracklog (which is an XML file) in a spreadsheet program and doing a simple arithmetic operation between each row.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:38 am

Sorry, I was wrong, that elapsed time is only visible when you create a route. I thought it would show when saving a track log

neghafi

by neghafi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:14 am

if anyone please have a look to this GPX file I recorded. if import it to Google earth you'll find it shows track crossing the summit but I didn't traverse it. just climbed to the pick and descend from the same way.
Is this error caused by multi-path?

Moni

by Moni » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:13 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:Sorry, I was wrong, that elapsed time is only visible when you create a route. I thought it would show when saving a track log

The track log does save the date and time of each collected point. Downlaod a free version of GPS Utilities and then download your track log into it - you will see what I mean.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:23 pm

I know it Moni. I don't need to download anything, I've checked it using my software. Thanks anyway

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:19 am

I have two questions concerning my Garmin Vista HCx:

1. If I want to know the altitude using the MAIN MENU / Satelite / GPS height. Should have I activated track log or can I know the height while being track log disconnected :?:

2. Wich and how many track logs do you maintain saved in your device :?: My brother has recommended me to leave only the track logs that I'm going to use the most because the software we both use downloads all logs when connecting GPSs to PCs. Since I first used my device I've cleared only accidental saved logs and I have a 72% of the memory full. So I should think on deleting some track logs

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:32 am

Well :?:

neghafi

by neghafi » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:55 am

Diego Sahagún wrote:I have two questions concerning my Garmin Vista HCx:

1. If I want to know the altitude using the MAIN MENU / Satelite / GPS height. Should have I activated track log or can I know the height while being track log disconnected :?:

2. Wich and how many track logs do you maintain saved in your device :?: My brother has recommended me to leave only the track logs that I'm going to use the most because the software we both use downloads all logs when connecting GPSs to PCs. Since I first used my device I've cleared only accidental saved logs and I have a 72% of the memory full. So I should think on deleting some track logs

1- No. if your GPSr locked on satellites. No need to log anything to know your elevation.
2- You can use Garmin Mapsource to upload any track you need before each trip. (I personally use many tracks, and that's why I'm interested in new devices)

Previous

Return to Gear