trail conditions for mountains near Estes Park?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
karend

trail conditions for mountains near Estes Park?

by karend » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:37 am

Does anyone know what the trail conditions might be for any of the following mountains:

Deer Mountain
Twin Sisters
Flattop Mountain
Mount Lady Washington

My husband and I will be in the park June 24 and would like to hike but need to know what gear we may need to bring along with us. Wondering how much snow/ice may be lingering at these higher summits! We are traveling from NH where our summits are much lower in elevation and clear of snow.... just lots of bugs!

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:39 am

I haven't been on those trails lately, but I took these photos on Sat, 6/5. Deer Mtn. shouldn't be an issue.
Twin Sisters still had some snow in the trees but should be pretty much snow free by the last week in June.

Lady Washington

and Flattop both had a fair amount of snow on them on the 5th.

A lot would normally melt in 2 to 3 weeks time in June, but bear in mind that we have just had some additional snow this weekend above 10,000 feet.
Hope that helps a little and that you have a great visit to the park!!

karend

by karend » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:06 am

HI Bill,

Thank you so much for the great pictures and info! It is definitely a big help!
We haven't decided on what we will hike... weather and how we fare with the elevation will be a big factor. But it is good to see what we are in for. :)

Return to Colorado