back pack choice???

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
bijan_tango

back pack choice???

by bijan_tango » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:07 pm

A friend of mine needs a back pack for her trips, mostely backpacking and traveling.. she has a small body size and needs a capacity around 50 liters , some thing comfortable and durable.. probably without much outside fastners..... any ideas?? BTW she lives in chicago and access to all the brands is kind of a problem.... TNX every one
Last edited by bijan_tango on Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonka

by Tonka » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:21 pm

My girl friend is quite small and we tried on many different packs recently and we went with the Osprey Talon 33. Maybe a little smaller than you want but she really likes it. It's price is nice also.

bijan_tango

by bijan_tango » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks buddy...i took a look at their products i think waypoints are the way to go with it... tnx again.... have fun

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:17 pm

If your friend can do it, it's best to go to a store with a selection of choices and try some on. I wanted to buy a 50ish liter climbing pack recently and was dead set on buying a BD Predator pack that several people I knew had. I went to a mountaineering specialty shop that stocked them, and after trying it and several other options on my back with actual weight in the pack, discovered that the Osprey Exposure 50 pack fit my back a lot better. If your friend is using it mostly for travel it may not matter much, but if she's actually backpacking and carrying weight while hiking, fit's important.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:19 pm

Many women prefer Osprey packs because they find they fit better. Perhaps check out their Aura 50 with the new ventilation design. Comfortable, durable, lightweight and simplistic in design. Have proven themselves well out in the field.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AuraSe ... ns/Aura50/

Their pack sizing can be found here http://www.ospreypacks.com/PackTech/SizingandFitting

bijan_tango

by bijan_tango » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:57 pm

JHH60 wrote:If your friend can do it, it's best to go to a store with a selection of choices and try some on. I wanted to buy a 50ish liter climbing pack recently and was dead set on buying a BD Predator pack that several people I knew had. I went to a mountaineering specialty shop that stocked them, and after trying it and several other options on my back with actual weight in the pack, discovered that the Osprey Exposure 50 pack fit my back a lot better. If your friend is using it mostly for travel it may not matter much, but if she's actually backpacking and carrying weight while hiking, fit's important.
.....i exactly agree with you and told her the same thing.... she was looking for some tips about the brands and models to try on... thanks my friend.. and you got really cool stuff in there.. always like to try diving..have fun

bijan_tango

by bijan_tango » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:09 pm

Brad Marshall wrote:Many women prefer Osprey packs because they find they fit better. Perhaps check out their Aura 50 with the new ventilation design. Comfortable, durable, lightweight and simplistic in design. Have proven themselves well out in the field.

Thanks Brad... she told me that choices are pretty limited up there in chigaco.. actually she has ordered a deuter pack and it arived after two weeks !!! but it sounded like osprey is a more accessible brand in there since she told me that there was a model and she had tried it on... i checked their web site and i think waypoints are a more close shot considering that it`s more likely that she would be using it for traveling more often than backpacking... but if it was up to me i would make pretty much the same choice as you, because most of my even normal travels include at least some backpacking if not a hike or even climb!!!! :D Thanks and have fun...

Return to Gear