Elbrus with Pilgrim 16-23 July 2010

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
MICHAELDAVIES007

by MICHAELDAVIES007 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:03 am

thanks guys, i will hire plastics when i get there but take my own boots with high spec gaiters in case it doesnt work out (i hear there are sometimes problems with size/fit etc). also a medium grade sleeping bag, good for -10 C, as i wont be sleeping outside (the barrels is as bad as it gets).

WouterB

by WouterB » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:28 pm

-10 might not be enough! The barrels are what the word says. Barrels. It's not a hut, there's no insulation and often there's not heater.

MICHAELDAVIES007

by MICHAELDAVIES007 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:47 am

so ... having spent most of my (employers) time looking at sleeping bags, i am considering the cumulus ultralight 350 because of its size/weight/cost ratio. i know this is nowhere near an expedition bag but it is allegedly "comfortable" to -3C with an extreme rating of -27C. plus i dont sleep cold and can always wear a down jacket and thermals in the worst case.

wouter, when you say -10C, do you mean comfort rating? i assume so since if not you are looking at an expedition bag, not sure i am ready for one of those, most of them are around 2kgs. i realise i will need a heavier bag sooner or later but maybe not right now.

WouterB

by WouterB » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:32 pm

Michael,

If you plan on using this sleeping bag only on Elbrus, I'd advise you to just rent one when you get there. There's two or three shops there that offer them for rent and they are not expensive. Especially when compared with buying one. Do note that that's what I did last year and that it's not the warmest sleeping bag. It's OK if you sleep in the barrels, but don't plan on sleeping higher in it.

If however you continue to climb 5000+m mountains, why not bite the bullet? I've seen you are planning on climbing Kilimanjaro shortly after Elbrus and have read that you intend to do more of these climbs. I recently bought a Valandré Odin and yes, it is very expensive, but it'll last a long time and ensure you that you'll never be cold again - ever. You probably won't need it on Kilimanjaro though, but still.

It's up to you, but if you are unsure, I advise you to rent the plastic shoes (read that one in an earlier message) where you live, and if possible, try them out on a walk beforehand (they often let you...). And then rent the sleeping bag in Russia.

MICHAELDAVIES007

by MICHAELDAVIES007 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Wouterb – thanks for the reply, that is SOME bag you are getting there, I would love to bite the bullet and do the same but its not going to happen right now. I do agree though, if sleeping above 5000m becomes a regular thing, then life is much easier if you get the best equipment that allows you to simply forget the cold. Maybe I will rent a bag but I keep doing that and wanted to stop.

About Kili – yes I have an opportunity and time in September so I thought I would have a go, as this year I will be finishing my work assignment in Germany and going back to the UK, and after that it will be more difficult to do this type of stuff, since I won’t have the flexibility or money that I have right now. It sounds like you have already done this, if so you may be able to offer some more advice?

Which route did you take and would you recommend it? I was thinking about the Rongai route because the descent is a different trail to the ascent, which I like the idea of. I understand that it is mandatory to use a tour company, which did you use and how was it? Also, where did you fly to and start from – it seems you can fly to Kili direct or Nairobi, Mombasa, Dar es Salaam or even Zanzibar? Nairobi appears to have the best flight options so I was thinking of flying and starting from there. Finally I am told it can be done in 6 days (Marangu to Marangu) but that is a minimum and involves long days, how long would you recommend?

Thanks again for the continuing good advice...

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:40 pm

Unless Wouter did Kili in the last few weeks, he hasn't done it yet, though I keep suggesting that he do it. If I recall correctly, he wants to turn his attention to America del Sur once he exorcizes the demons of Elbrus.

Many of us have however. Why don't you do a copy/pasta and take this to the African forum?

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:41 pm

John is right. Haven't been near Kilimanjaro - yet. I just noticed that you've been thinking about that. I've pm'd John with more information about this. Don't want to ruin this thread and it doesn't really belong in Africa either - for now.

Previous

Return to Europe