Summitpost.org income estimate

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
WouterB

Summitpost.org income estimate

by WouterB » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:37 am

Plenty of rumours about this going on in the past. I just found a way to more the less calculate this. Might be interesting.

Summitpost is currently the 51,752 biggest website in the world. The domain receives about 7,604 unique visitors and 43,343 (5.7 per visitor) page views per day. Based on this information, you can estimate that it earns about $23 USD per day and gives the site an overall value of $16,653 USD.

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Re: Summitpost.org income estimate

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:37 am

WouterB wrote:Plenty of rumours about this going on in the past. I just found a way to more the less calculate this. Might be interesting.

Summitpost is currently the 51,752 biggest website in the world. The domain receives about 7,604 unique visitors and 43,343 (5.7 per visitor) page views per day. Based on this information, you can estimate that it earns about $23 USD per day and gives the site an overall value of $16,653 USD.

Not very impressive - you could hardly buy a good used car for that in Denmark!

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Yes Ejnar. Hardly making anyone rich!

And it goes to show that the prime purpose of SP is mountains, not money.

gobriango

by gobriango » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:17 pm

I would pay $16 K for this website in a second.

Anyone selling ???

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:And it goes to show that the prime purpose of SP is mountains, not money.

EXACTLY!

Who gives a flying fk how much money the site may make or is worth.

The info and the knowledge that exists within SP, is far more valuable than any moneys.

Maybe if people would start judging the world around them in those terms instead of "how much money" something is worth, this planet may just be a better place.

simonov

by simonov » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:03 pm

The Chief wrote:Who gives a flying fk how much money the site may make or is worth.

Well, the owners might care about that.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:20 pm

redneck wrote:
The Chief wrote:Who gives a flying fk how much money the site may make or is worth.

Well, the owners might care about that.

If they really were interested in making a buck, they would have never BANNED ME the 14 times that they did!

Buz Groshong

Re: Summitpost.org income estimate

by Buz Groshong » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:38 pm

WouterB wrote:Plenty of rumours about this going on in the past. I just found a way to more the less calculate this. Might be interesting.

Besides the fact that this isn't very much money, this, of course, ignores all of the years that Summitpost was not making any money. During those years it was costing the owners money to provide the facilities for hosing it. It was also costing a lot of time and effort on their part doing the programming and such. Like Bryan said: "it goes to show that the prime purpose of SP is mountains, not money."

WouterB

by WouterB » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:10 pm

Chief, this has been discussed at length before. Lots of speculation going on too. I managed to calculate these numbers and decided to share them. They are still an estimate, but should hopefully stop some of the speculation. As Gobriango said, I too would love to buy the site for that amount of money. Not because I think it is worth it right now, but because there is a huge potential.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:18 pm

Potential for making a buck???

Read my original post Dude!

There's more important things in life than money... that is why some of us here actually climb. To get the fk away from people and the society that deems money to be the basis of their existence.

gobriango is a Real Estate agent. Money.

FK the MONEY!

Buy it to make a buck and the entire premise and actual worth of SP will immediately disappear. Cuz dumbass rules and regs will be imposed and when the new site owner/s don't like what goes on, they will shut it down.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:23 pm

Good post WouterB, as you say, to stop the speculation if nothing else. Not sure why you are being attacked for it.

TheOrglingLlama

by TheOrglingLlama » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:24 pm

WouterB wrote:Lots of speculation going on

:mrgreen:

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:54 pm

The Chief wrote:Potential for making a buck???

Read my original post Dude!

There's more important things in life than money... that is why some of us here actually climb. To get the fk away from people and the society that deems money to be the basis of their existence.

gobriango is a Real Estate agent. Money.

FK the MONEY!

Buy it to make a buck and the entire premise and actual worth of SP will immediately disappear. Cuz dumbass rules and regs will be imposed and when the new site owner/s don't like what goes on, they will shut it down.

Buy it to make a buck and many of the contributors will also disappear - along with their contributions (which do actually belong to them).

Next

Return to General