Favorite National Parks

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Patrick B

Favorite National Parks

by Patrick B » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:16 pm

I'm up in Montana right now and right outside the border of Glacier National Park. From the distance, mountains still covered in snow stick out over the smaller hills on the border of the park. As you drive in, massive big walls stick out over the trees and snow covered peaks loom over the road. I've never really been in an area like this, living in New England, and I found it spectacular. The roads switchbacks around hills as you look out at the glaciers and big walls of these huge mountains. Hikes bring you over deep blue lakes and to waterfalls that pour into them.

It was one of the best experiences of my life.

My question to you is what's your favorite national park?

patb
Last edited by Patrick B on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James_W

by James_W » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:02 pm

The Canadian Glacier National Park
Jasper and Yoho Park

builttospill

by builttospill » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Grand Teton NP has a special place in my heart. I'd say its my favorite.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:34 pm

I get asked this a lot because of my work, and my first answer is always, "For what?"

When pushed, I say that if I had two weeks anywhere, I'd pick Olympic because of its diversity.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Here's a list of U.S. National parks I have been to. There are some really cool national monuments I have been to as well. But will save that for a different thread! :D

Acadia
Arches
Badlands
Bryce Canyon
Carlsbad Caverns
Crater Lake
Death Valley
Everglades
Glacier
Grand Canyon
Grand Teton
Great Sand Dunes
Great Smoky Mountains
Guadalupe Mountains
Kings Canyon
Mammoth Cave
Mount Rainier
Olympic
Redwood
Petrified Forest
Rocky Mountain
Saguaro
Sequoia
Shenandoah
Theodore Roosevelt
Wind Cave
Yellowstone
Yosemite
Zion

My Top Three:

1. Glacier
2. Grand Canyon
3. Olympic

Yellowstone, Teton, and Yosemite are also great, but way over populated. (The GC is always crowed too, but you never see people where I tour it. At the bottom
:D )

adventurer

by adventurer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:50 pm

My top three are Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, and Rainier. Locally, I spend many days each year at Shenandoah.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:58 pm

Hotoven is right- Olympic NP is amazing. I would love to go again sometime, beaches, rainforest, glaciers, mountains... what else could you need?

My issue with Yellowstone, and other NPs in Wyoming and Montana- is they make backpacking a huge hassle, with a painful permit process and designated backcountry camping locations. Often I don't know exactly where I'll want to camp at night the morning I wake up.

lisae

by lisae » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:02 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:I don't have an emotional favorite.

But from purely a 'feet do the voting' standpoint, Yosemite, by far. Here in CA, SEKI, and Death Valley are also frequent faves.

Been to national parks across the continent and Hawaii... never made it to Denali yet, however.

The Volcanos national park on Hawaii's Big Island is way up there on my all time favorite list too.

DMT

By the standard of "feet do the voting,' my favorite would be Pinnacles National Monument, then Joshua Tree and Death Valley coming in second.

I think it is in part a matter of proximity, partly because I like the desert.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:06 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Hotoven is right- Olympic NP is amazing. I would love to go again sometime, beaches, rainforest, glaciers, mountains... what else could you need?

mrchad9, I plan to go there again Summer 2011. Maybe we could meet up for a climb up Wildcat Ridge or Kamps Ridge on Mount Olympus! (I have wanted to climb that joint for years.)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Hotoven wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:Hotoven is right- Olympic NP is amazing. I would love to go again sometime, beaches, rainforest, glaciers, mountains... what else could you need?

mrchad9, I plan to go there again Summer 2011. Maybe we could meet up for a climb up Wildcat Ridge on Mount Olympus! (I have wanted to climb that joint for years.)

Unfamiliar with Wildcat Ridge- don't really know the area- but I'd love to do Olympus- been to the toe of the blue glacier, but climbing wasn't on the itenerary that year. 2011 sounds like decent timing too. Keep me in mind.

pyerger

Re: Favorite National Parks

by pyerger » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:32 pm

Patrick B wrote:I'm up in Montana right now and right outside the border of Glacier National Park. From the distance, mountains still covered in snow stick out over the smaller hills on the border of the park. As you drive in, massive big walls stick out over the trees and snow covered peaks loom over the road. I've never really been in an area like this, living in New England, and I found it spectacular. The roads switchbacks around hills as you look out at the glaciers and big walls of these huge mountains. Hikes bring you over deep blue lakes and to waterfalls that pour into them.

It was one of the best experiences of my life.

My question to you is what's your favorite national park?

patb

GLACIER NATIONAL PARK. with Zion being a close second( although if the Wind rivers, in Wyoming, were a national park?)I Have lived near GNP, and spent a lot of time in the park, climbing peaks, and hiking miles, and have found no other place with that much beauty, and wildness. Oh, and the Grizzlies, always keep you on edge. IF IT JUST WASN"T WINTER ALL THE TIME.

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Tough to pick favorites but herses my best

#1 Yosemite
#2 Acadia
#3 Zion
#4 Tetons
#5 Arches

Not a national but Baxter State Park and Colorado National Monument

Never been to North Cascades, Glacier or the Canadian Parks but can't wait to go!

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:18 pm

None... they are all RV & People magnets.

Amazing how the original intent of the NPS was to protect selected/Designated "Wild" areas from human progress and development.

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Zion is my favorite...

...so far.

There are some big names out there that I haven't visited, yet.

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Been to a decent amt. Haven't been to Glacier or PCW or the Texan parks. That being said I went to Capitol Reef this past March and was absolutely moved by the place. Not the most spectacular, but a favorite in my book.

Next

Return to General