Mountain Page Vote/You Haven't Hiked Yet

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Marmaduke

Mountain Page Vote/You Haven't Hiked Yet

by Marmaduke » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:45 am

I have only voted on a Mountain/Rock Page or a Route Page on a few occasions when I haven't actually been there yet. Seems that to have a real vote, you should have climbed the peak or used the route first. Your thoughts?

Jerry L

by Jerry L » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:29 pm

I completely disagree and I'll bet is that you'll find few who share your opinion. Should be interesting.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:56 pm

It's far more important to have been there if you are the one that is writing the Mountain or Route page... :wink:

simonov

by simonov » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:57 pm

I don't vote at all. Out of protest.

no avatar
The Chief

Re: Mountain Page Vote/You Haven't Hiked Yet

by The Chief » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:20 pm

Neophiteat48 wrote: Seems that to have a real vote, you should have climbed the peak or used the route first. Your thoughts?

Damn! Won't be seeing any of your votes on any of my submissions.

Along with that criteria, I definitely know I won't be seeing any of Gary Schenk's votes either.

Or....

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:04 pm

Why is it that die-hard republicans always say they are for more freedom and less regulations and rules, but in practice they put more and more restrictions on your daily and personal life, now to the point they are even telling you how to vote!!! :shock:

I don't get it.

Are you telling me you cannot tell if something posted is an asset to the site without having been there?

The Chief wrote:Damn! Won't be seeing any of your votes on any of my submissions.

Along with that criteria, I definitely know I won't be seeing any of Gary Schenk's votes either.

Or....

:lol: :lol:

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:18 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Why is it that die-hard republicans always say they are for more freedom and less regulations and rules, but in practice they put more and more restrictions on your daily and personal life, now to the point they are even telling you how to vote!!! :shock:

I don't get it.

Are you telling me you cannot tell if something posted is an asset to the site without having been there?

The Chief wrote:Damn! Won't be seeing any of your votes on any of my submissions.

Or....

:lol: :lol:

I didn't say you CAN'T vote, just wondering or suggesting if you haven't experienced the mountain or route, how can you vote and have your vote really mean a whole lot? Can you comment or have an opnion on a book you haven't read? The Chief and DMT are correct, I will not be climbing any 5.10/4 pitch rocks, so should I vote on their pages or routes? I'm not sure.

But I'm being told my thoughts are garbage- so I'll quickly go vote on your mountains/routes right now! :)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:30 pm

Neophiteat48 wrote:I didn't say you CAN'T vote, just wondering or suggesting if you haven't experienced the mountain or route, how can you vote and have your vote really mean a whole lot? Can you comment or have an opnion on a book you haven't read? The Chief and DMT are correct, I will not be climbing any 5.10/4 pitch rocks, so should I vote on their pages or routes? I'm not sure.

But I'm being told my thoughts are garbage- so I'll quickly go vote on your mountains/routes right now! :)

Only if it is a 10. :D

I know what you meant. So I'll answer- if a page as apparently good driving directions, mileage and elevation gain (too many folks forget that), info about the summit or area, camping options, a decription of the route, etc... then I see no reason to be suspect and think supporting their contributions are not justified.

Go climb Mt Barnard or Morrison this summer. A fun outing and then you can post some snarky comment on the quality of Chief's pages. (such as on his not very robust directions for the Tobacco Flats 4x4 road!)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:32 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:The voting serves no useful purpose at all.

It is feedback that shows others appreciate your contribution. The reason I signed up originally was to vote for a page that was very helpful to me.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:39 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
Dingus Milktoast wrote:The voting serves no useful purpose at all.

It is feedback that shows others appreciate your contribution.

Don't forget the REI discount coupons.

Jerry L

by Jerry L » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:04 pm

I think you miss the point. If I read a book about climbing Mount Everest, I judge the book, not the climb. I don't have to climb Mount Everest to know if I liked the book.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:03 pm

Jerry L wrote:I think you miss the point. If I read a book about climbing Mount Everest, I judge the book, not the climb. I don't have to climb Mount Everest to know if I liked the book.

I'm saying that if you do not read the book, you can not critique it. So, if you haven't climbed the mouintain, how can you read a mountain/route page and know if it is accurate, helpful, etc.? It may look great but that doesn't make it so and you do not have any experience of that mountain/route fo know.

But, I'm not saying there is a right or wrong answer here. Just that what I'm suggesting make some sense. Let's say for example, a route page has a score of 89%. And there are 40 votes of "10" from SPers that have not climbed the route. And there is 1 Sper that has, and he/she gives a "9". There is far more credibility to the 9. You have 1 person who puts up the page and we all utilize some of the info when planning climbs. Especially us NooBs and there would be more credibilty for the pages when they have been rated by those who have made the climb.

I have rated a few pages that I haven't experienced yet but it kinda' makes sense to me that the page rating becomes more credible when those who have done it, vote on it.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:05 pm

Alpinist wrote:It's far more important to have been there if you are the one that is writing the Mountain or Route page... :wink:

With rare exceptions, IMO it is essential that you've done the mountain or the route before you author a page on it.

As for merely voting on pages where you've never done the subject, I think it depends on the type of page. It's probably not very meaningful to vote on a route page (especially technical routes) if you've never done the route since you won't be able to evaluate its helpfulness or accuracy.

On the other hand, you can evaluate useful formation on most mountain pages (e.g., how detailed are trailhead directions, listing of route options, links to getting weather and permit information, etc.) without having summited that peak. And of course a TR is an entirely different beast which you can evaluate for its educational and/or entertainment value without having done the outing or epic.
Last edited by Augie Medina on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:08 pm

anita wrote:I vote on everything so I can get more points

LOL! It's worked three times right?

:D

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:13 pm

Neophiteat48 wrote:Let's say for example, a route page has a score of 89%. And there are 40 votes of "10" from SPers that have not climbed the route. And there is 1 Sper that has, and he/she gives a "9". There is far more credibility to the 9.

Mountain Implulse is correct. Anyone can read a page and determine if much of the information is useful, if they would feel like it would be an asset to them if they were to do the hike in the future.

Plenty of pages on mountains I haven't done that I can see are useless, and plenty that have all I'd need to head out with a map and a copy of the page.

And the person who voted a 9 has no more credibility. Actually they are probably just an asshole trying to lower the author's pagescore (rightly or wrongly).
Last edited by mrchad9 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to General