Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Pilot Peak in the Beartooths

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Postby Morlow » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:44 am

So basically if I plan on going off-trail at all, plan on not being able to plan on anything? Haha. I don't want to go crazy bushwacking or anything but perhaps heading to a lake that isn't far off the trail to camp or something similar.

Are the trails you have been on hard to follow? I would imagine above tree line in such a remote area the trails would be pretty weak or just disappearing a lot.

As an intro to the Beartooths, I was thinking about something along the lines of hiking to Zimmer Lake to camp then see if I could summit any of the surrounding peaks the next day. I need to check my friend's peaks book to see if any of them are non-tech though. That hike is relatively short but with some potential if any of the peaks are doable.

How much snow sticks around the plateau during July/August? Is it just the peaks that hold snow? My buddy and I hiked Pitchstone Plateau a couple weeks ago here in Yellowstone and it still had 2+ feet of snow at 8500+ feet so I'm wondering if the Beartooth Plateau might be similar.

How would you rate the dirt roads you have driven? I only have a 2WD car so I'm pretty sure I won't be venturing onto any of the 4WD-advised roads but I'm curious if even the 2WD roads are really doable in a little car.
Morlow

Previous

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)