Vallecito Lake to Nebo Creek/Vallecito Creek Trail?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
edevart

Vallecito Lake to Nebo Creek/Vallecito Creek Trail?

by edevart » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:25 am

Any beta on the route down from Vallecito Lake (not the Reservoir) to the Vallecito Creek trail near the junction with Nebo Creek in the Weminuche? I seem to remember somebody telling me there is a use route in there and it isn't too brutal, but just wanted to be sure. What about hiking up to Vallecito lake from Nebo Creek/Vallecito Creek trail?

Also, any beta on getting up to Lake Mary Alice below Mount Oso? Looks doable, but I hear the ridge/pass from near Half Moon Lake is pretty trecherous.

Ed.

steppendonk

by steppendonk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:08 pm

That's my usual shortcut instead of using Hunchback Pass. There's nothing tricky about it. Follow the creek. Lots of people go that way. Not much camping space at Vallecito Lake though.

edevart

by edevart » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:49 pm

steppendonk - Thanks for the info. One question - how is this a shortcut exactly? Seems a bit longer with more elevation gain/loss than coming over Hunchback.

steppendonk

by steppendonk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:32 pm

I was comparing it to the official Continental Divide trail which seems to make quite a ridiculous loop going around Kite Lake.

Vallecito Lake

Return to Colorado