Hood vs Adams

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
billisfree

by billisfree » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:29 pm

I believe South Sister is pretty much a walk-up... and a tough one.

That one is on my to-do wish list.... want to go with me?

no avatar
TheViper

by TheViper » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:58 pm

The south sister is a great hike...but its a looong one, although I felt it was pretty easy, but I was going at my wifes slow pace. The first 4miles ish are really easy, especially the one mile over a completely flat trail...the last couple are pretty rough and kinda steep. I did the south sister late last august, and I remember it being pretty cold (55 max). What I really loved about this hike was the views at the top. The photo shot at the summit with the middle and north sister right at your back are awesome. Definitely a very memorable hike to do...as bill said though its an endurance hike, just like Adams.

Snackem

by Snackem » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:33 am

billisfree wrote:I believe South Sister is pretty much a walk-up... and a tough one.

That one is on my to-do wish list.... want to go with me?

I'd love to go with you. Myself and another guy from this area want to do it in September sometime. When we get an couple of dates I'll shoot you a PM.

EastKing

by EastKing » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:11 am

From the second week in August to mid September, all you will need is trekking poles and normal hiking gear. I did it in early August last year with Nartreb and I found it no more difficult than going to Camp Muir. The views from South Sister on a clear day are amazing!!!!! Teardrop Lake is an amazing site!!!! I highly recommend it!

Snackem

by Snackem » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:51 pm

EastKing wrote:From the second week in August to mid September, all you will need is trekking poles and normal hiking gear. I did it in early August last year with Nartreb and I found it no more difficult than going to Camp Muir. The views from South Sister on a clear day are amazing!!!!! Teardrop Lake is an amazing site!!!! I highly recommend it!

How long (roughly) does the hike take? What trail head do we leave from? Is there a trail most of the way to the top if? Is there water along the route at all?

Thanks for the info.

no avatar
TheViper

by TheViper » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Most people leave from the Devils Lake Campground. The hike is 12.4 miles total. The hike took my group 9hours (me 7hrs). there is plenty of water sources along the way. Theres a lake 1.5 miles in, a large pool of water right before the long summit push, and another pool of water at the summit (lots of snow too).

Snackem

by Snackem » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:00 am

TheViper wrote:The south sister is a great hike...but its a looong one, although I felt it was pretty easy, but I was going at my wifes slow pace. The first 4miles ish are really easy, especially the one mile over a completely flat trail...the last couple are pretty rough and kinda steep. I did the south sister late last august, and I remember it being pretty cold (55 max). What I really loved about this hike was the views at the top. The photo shot at the summit with the middle and north sister right at your back are awesome. Definitely a very memorable hike to do...as bill said though its an endurance hike, just like Adams.

Great picture, I sent you a PM a couple of days ago, not sure if you saw it or not.

no avatar
TheViper

by TheViper » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:10 pm

Sorry, didnt even see I had a PM, thanks for letting me know...replied :)

Previous

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)