Anything crazy/grueling/adventurous to do in Japan?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
CClaude

by CClaude » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:19 am

The Japanese Alps are split into three main ranges, Minami (southern) Chuo (central) and Kita (northern) Arapusu (alps). They can easily be reached by commuter train from Tokyo (or anywhere else for that matter).

The Kita Alps are gorgous and worth a visit, even if its just to hike, but the climbing is decent, especially in late August. Its been years since I was there (lived there from 1995 to -97 when I was on staff at Keio and the Kanagawa Academy of Science and Technology) but you can take a train to Matsumoto and then a bus to the trainheads. You can also climb in Ogawayama which is tucked into the mountains just south of Tokyo just north of the Chuo and Minami Alps.

The area around Ichinokarasawa is also beautiful but I've only been there in the winter and can't comment on the Summer.

As for cultural, don't miss Kamakura just south of Yokahama. It has a lot of temples in town and tucked into the foothills just around the town. Its fairly beautiful.

If you need info, I have japanese guidebooks and maps for most of the areas.

CClaude

by CClaude » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:38 pm

Send me an address, and keep a hold of them until you are done with them... even if that means in 3yrs or so. If you can send me an address quickly that would be cool since on Thursday I am flying out for 10 days, will be back for 5 days then will be gone again for 3 wks.

I was doing research in polymer chemistry while I was where, especially in photonics, (which is funny since I now do research in the cardiovascular field).

CClaude

by CClaude » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:55 pm

Oh, yeah....

I was there from 1995 to 1997 so my experience I would expect to be dramatically different then an experience today. During that period of time the Japanese society appeared to be undergoing a dramatic shift, but was right in the middle of the process so I don't know how the story turned out.

Having said that, I really enjoyed my time there, both professionally and personally. I made a lot of climbing friends (all Japanese) and spent a lot of time in the mountains of Japan and at the crags around Tokyo .

Return to Asia