Muir Pass and Northern Kings Canyon Trail Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Katward

Muir Pass and Northern Kings Canyon Trail Conditions

by Katward » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:51 am

Anyone been over Muir Pass recently? If so how was the snow and how were the skeeters? NPS says the following (which is vague and out of date):
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm

Would love any recent trip reports for Dusy Basin, LeConte Canyon, Muir Pass, Evolution area and Humphreys Basin.

Scott M.

by Scott M. » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:38 am

In Humphreys Basin last weekend - no snow. Skeeters were tolerable with some DEET.

no avatar
fluxlib

by fluxlib » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:24 pm

Hey Scott,

90% heading to Humphreys this weekend. How high and where did you camp?? I expect to be wearing long pants and a long sleeve shirt and covered with Deet.

Bascuela

Re: Muir Pass and Northern Kings Canyon Trail Conditions

by Bascuela » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:10 am

Katward wrote:Anyone been over Muir Pass recently? If so how was the snow and how were the skeeters? NPS says the following (which is vague and out of date):
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/trailcond.htm

Would love any recent trip reports for Dusy Basin, LeConte Canyon, Muir Pass, Evolution area and Humphreys Basin.

Just got back from Evolution Valley (via Florence Lake) and the skeeters were the worst I’ve even seen in my life. All the meadows are pretty swollen with water and it’s been prime temp for them. Good luck!

Return to California