Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Report Your Screen Size

Get HTML help, style input, and feedback on your pages from other SP members.

Postby vancouver islander » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:13 pm

MoapaPk wrote:VI: find a page that behaves in the way you want, then right click on it and pick "view source" (that's the PC route). Then you get to see what other people did with html, to achieve that effect.

Sounds like monkey see, monkey do. Just my cup of tea. Thanks!
vancouver islander

Postby chugach mtn boy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:19 pm

MoapaPk wrote:VI: find a page that behaves in the way you want, then right click on it and pick "view source" (that's the PC route). Then you get to see what other people did with html, to achieve that effect.

I'll be darned. For for the html-impaired like VI and me, these are the most informative 2 lines that have ever been written in SP!
chugach mtn boy

Postby 23north » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:28 pm

If you use Google Analytics it will provide you with the screen resolution of your visitors.
23north

Postby vancouver islander » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:36 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:

I'll be darned. For for the html-impaired like VI and me, these are the most informative 2 lines that have ever been written in SP!

Well, don't get too excited. I just did precisely this with one of Nanuls' pages - a member whose work I particularly admire. What I got caused a combination of fright and eyes-glazing-over :? Didn't help at all.

I may know what tables in html are and I can use them to centre images etc on a page but I have no idea how to use them to make a page independent of the viewer's screen size.

Think I'll just stick with my usual "This page is set up for and best viewed at a screen size of 1280 x 1024 pixels"
vancouver islander

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:41 pm

vancouver islander wrote:
chugach mtn boy wrote:

Well, don't get too excited. I just did precisely this with one of Nanuls' pages - a member whose work I particularly admire. What I got caused a combination of fright and eyes-glazing-over :? Didn't help at all.

I may know what tables in html are and I can use them to centre images etc on a page but I have no idea how to use them to make a page independent of the viewer's screen size.

Think I'll just stick with my usual "This page is set up for and best viewed at a screen size of 1280 x 1024 pixels"

I forget who I first heard it from, but I've found MoapaPk's tip helpful on several occasions. Some things I've snagged from "view source" are on every page I do.

If helps to do a find and search on a word of text that you are looking for, then it is easier to extract what you are after.
mrchad9

Postby MoapaPk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:55 pm

BTW -- is there a way to embed html code in BBCode, so we can use non-implemented BBCode features (e.g. strikethrough)? I realize that embedding html is probably a big security issue.
MoapaPk

Postby MoapaPk » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:30 pm

vancouver islander wrote:
chugach mtn boy wrote:

I should add: when the source page comes up, hit <ctrl A> then <ctrl C>, open a blank text file, and insert the text with <ctrl V>. Then save the text file and peruse it at your leisure.
MoapaPk

Previous

Return to Page Help