Rescue on Mount Hood

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
Bombchaser

Rescue on Mount Hood

by Bombchaser » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:16 am

simonov

by simonov » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:45 pm

twoshuzz wrote:On a serious note... You could not pay me enough to attempt a summit of Hood at this time of year, from any route. But that's just me.

Lotsa rockfall, huh?

What if you carried a gun?

dskoon

by dskoon » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:53 pm

redneck wrote:
twoshuzz wrote:On a serious note... You could not pay me enough to attempt a summit of Hood at this time of year, from any route. But that's just me.

Lotsa rockfall, huh?

What if you carried a gun?

Guns aside, I think given the abundant snowfall of our late winter/spring, there are some of routes that are still in fine shape. Not sure(updated), that the S. side is one of them, however.

Bombchaser

by Bombchaser » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:05 pm

twoshuzz wrote:Surely this is another fine example of an unprepaired and inexperienced moron who failed to place pro, was taken out by a novice team member attempting to dodge a falling goat trying to escape a Grizzly attack and could have all been prevented if he had only carried a firearm.

On a serious note... You could not pay me enough to attempt a summit of Hood at this time of year, from any route. But that's just me. Hope they all come down safe.

Awesome!! :P

gwave47

by gwave47 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:50 pm

twoshuzz wrote: On a serious note... You could not pay me enough to attempt a summit of Hood at this time of year, from any route. But that's just me. Hope they all come down safe.

I second that. Does anyone know what route they were going up? Last summer in late June you could see cinder block sizes of ice rolling down the S. side about an hour after sunrise (and there were still people heading up who were at least an hour and a half from the summit). Couldn't imagine what it's like at the end of July.

lasvegaswraith

Re: Rescue on Mount Hood

by lasvegaswraith » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Bombchaser wrote:http://www.katu.com/news/local/99698079.html

I didn't see the standard "...described as an experienced hiker..." description that always seems to appear in these stories.

Return to News