Gannett Route?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Tjmmass

Gannett Route?

by Tjmmass » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:44 pm

Hi, three of us (all in our 50s) are climbing Gannett the last week of August. Can someone who has done Gannett recommend the best route. I was planning to go from Elkhart Park because I have been there before but the long day over Bonney Pass has me worried. Is Gannett easier from the north? Is the route easy to find?

musicman82

by musicman82 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:06 am

The north approach via the Glacier Trail is the way to go in my opinion; while it's about 3 miles longer, it's totally worth avoiding the pass crossing on summit day. I did it two weeks ago and the route is totally easy to find - read Redwic's excellent route page for perfect directions...

Of course if you're loaded, you can pay the Indian Reservation hundreds of bucks to access the Ink Wells Trail Head and make it a 30-mile trip instead of 50 - not an option for me!

ridgeguy

by ridgeguy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:41 am

Take the Glacier Trail route. I went up last week via Bonny Pass and wondered why I hadn't even considered the Glacier Trail route. I only had 3 days so maybe I thought the Elkhart route was my only option. How nice it would have been to be able to avoid climbing back over Bonny Pass. Plus, it seemed like the most difficult part of the climb to me.

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Tourist Creek is "only" 36 miles. Another consideration.

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:20 pm

The Cold Springs Trailhead / Ink Wells Trail is the shortest and easiest approach but you have to pay a permit to cross the Indian Reservation. If you can afford it, that's the best option IMO.

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:29 am

I'll be the dissenter here-
If "best" = "easiest", I can't help. I have other reasons to climb things. Plus, I've only done the Titcomb Basin approach. Twice.

The first time we didn't even get to Bonney Pass, let alone over it. On our second try we went back the same way because it is soooo beautiful. Totally worth any extra time and effort (although the other approaches might be just as good).

My advice: Take your time, enjoy the Winds. Even if you don't summit, it is an awesome place to be. Titcomb Basin is incredible.
http://www.splattski.com/2010/gannett/index.html

Holsti97

by Holsti97 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:58 pm

Our group of 5 flatlanders (Georgia and Wisconsin) climbed Gannett Peak via the Glacier Trail on July 17-21. We took 2 days to hike to the high Tarns Camp, one day to climb Gannett, and 2 days to hike out. The Glacier Trail hike was tougher than the climb itself. The Glacier Trail route is also very beautiful. Our group consisted of 3 guys in their 50's, one guy in his 30's, and one in his 20's. All of us trained very hard for the climb and were fit. How did we fare? 2 guys got altitude sickness, one got a serious shin bruise from his boots, 4 got blisters, and we all were very happy to get back to Dubois for a shower and a cold beer. One of our group did not recover from his altitude sickness and stayed at Wilson Meadows while we went to the summit.

What would I do different?
Take 3 days to hike in rather than 2.
Pack even lighter. (Brought more food than I ate.)
Carry a smaller camera and take more photos on summit day.
Start earlier than 5:30 AM on summit day.

I am very glad that we did the Glacier Trail/Gannett climb without guides, horse support, or a shortcut through the Indian Reservatiion. Doing it any other way would seem like "cheating". Now that I am home in my comfy computer chair I can say, "That 50 mile hike was sure a lot of fun!"

JUST BECAUSE IT'S NOT FUN DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT IS NOT FUN!

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:15 pm

Why does going through the Indian Reservation seem like cheating to you? Because the trailhead is closer to the peak? Using that logic, the only "honest" way to climb Gannett (or any mountain) would be to walk from the nearest ocean...

To each his own but I'll bet we felt more rested and fresh on summit day than most people who take one of the other approaches. Having approached Gannett from both the north and the south, I'll can also attest that the scenary is equally spectacular on both sides of Bonney Pass.

VIEWS FROM THE NORTH

Holsti97

by Holsti97 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:44 pm

George-
Mainly because I did it the other way. Don't take my cheating comment seriously. If I had the extra bucks I would have been glad for Ramona to give me a ride. :wink:

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:36 pm

No offense taken whatsoever. But just so everyone understands, "the ride" is on a dirt road to the trailhead. The ride stops where the trail starts; about a half mile before the border of the Fitzpatrick Wilderness Area. It's no different than driving to the other trailheads. The only difference is that this one is closer to the peak.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Whatever you do, don't hike up along the green river....it is spectacular...but I wouldn't recommended it, unless you are fast and in good shape. I'm talking a 12 mile hike in, Bonny-like climb, technical climb with rope section, and your still no where close to the summit. Takes too long, you'll need rope, afternoon thunderstorms kick in, augh augh augh augh augh. I could go on...Good place to see wildlife, tho! (moose, bear, etc) Did I mention that it is spectacular? really really nice camping there.

Bonny pass will be tough on your knees. Especially going down. You step on a rock...it slides...you freak....it stops...you relax (repeat x3000). But in the end, your calfs will be beautiful and firm and all the girls will love you.

How important is it that you bag the peak? If that is your goal, go with Alpinist's suggestion.

**I think the trick to the whole thing is NOT to climb it in August. Having failed 2x****

Scott Wesemann

by Scott Wesemann » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:04 pm

I have climbed via the Glacier trail and will be going in through Titcomb this Saturday. I think both routes have their advantages from the research I have done. The Glacier trail has an easier summit day, but a tougher approach.

I'll report back on Sunday and let you know.

phatty

by phatty » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:39 pm

Going up Gannet this weekend via Titcomb and bonney.

Going into Seneca Friday night, Titcomb Saturday, Summit Sunday, and out on monday.

Did fremont last year and love it. Going for the big boy this year... bring on the thunder and lightning...

jeep1212

by jeep1212 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:24 pm

phatty wrote:Going up Gannet this weekend via Titcomb and bonney.

Going into Seneca Friday night, Titcomb Saturday, Summit Sunday, and out on monday.

Did fremont last year and love it. Going for the big boy this year... bring on the thunder and lightning...

I was going to go this weekend also via the same route. The weather looks questionable as there are supposed to be T-storms all weekend. Let us know..

pyerger

Gannett

by pyerger » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:11 pm

OH, Mistake I started a new topic, instead of replying to this one. anyway my two cents on gannett via a new topic.

Next

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)