Camping near Zion NP

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
rockymtnclimber

Camping near Zion NP

by rockymtnclimber » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:33 pm

I'm looking to head out to Zion this weekend and do some canyoneering. Anyone know a good place to pitch a tent outside of the park? I don't plan to leave it all day. I'll pack up in the morning. I just don't want to pay.

Anyone know some good spots?

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:48 pm

To those who get "busted" sleeping in their cars at the Visitor Center parking lot :lol: , the park rangers recommend a camping area west of the Springdale/Rockville megalopolis. It's on Highway 9, 8.9 miles from the Zion entrance station, on the south side of the road. Its location can be referenced from a highway mile marker, but I forget which one. The place is called Mosquito Cove, which is an inappropriate name, from what I can tell. I sleep in the driver's seat of my car with the windows cracked, and nothing bites me.

Hyadventure

by Hyadventure » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:29 pm

Cut and pasted

The best spot to camp on BLM land near Zion is at Mosquito Cove between mile markers 23 and 24 on Highway 9. As you're going toward Zion, it'll be on the right. On the weekends, you have to get there early because it'll be full. There's no potable water and no bathroom facilities. Bring a poop bag or else use the restrooms in Springdale. If you treat the water, you can get all the water you want from the Virgin River that flows right by.

There's another place called "the Mesa" on BLM land, but it's harder to get to. You got to turn in Rockville to get there.

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... z0vlVYt194

builttospill

by builttospill » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:56 pm

I think Mosquito Cove was closed a year or two ago, but I'm not sure if it was permanent or temporary. Otherwise it's a fine place to pitch a tent for a night, though it's not exactly scenic or anything.

It would be worth calling Zion NP or Zion Rock and Mountain Guides to make sure it's open, so you can prepare a Plan B if necessary.

johnm

by johnm » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:58 am

Drove by in mid May and there were several tents pitched late in the afternoon at Mosquito Cove. Plenty of spots appeared available as well. Almost stopped but got lazy and car camped up the highway closer to Zion.

builttospill

by builttospill » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:31 am

johnm wrote:Drove by in mid May and there were several tents pitched late in the afternoon at Mosquito Cove. Plenty of spots appeared available as well. Almost stopped but got lazy and car camped up the highway closer to Zion.

Good to know. I suspected it was a temporary thing, but you never know. As I recall there is A LOT of space at Mosquito Cove. Be prepared for noisy folks though.

rrhamm

by rrhamm » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:06 am

La Verkin Creek Falls is a great spot too, though it can be pretty buggy. Take the road along La Verkin creek north of where it crosses 17 in Toquerville. A good little swimming hole. 37.2986, -113.2469

no avatar
erial

by erial » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:15 am

Good camping up on Gooseberry Mesa. Three miles from where you turn onto Bridge St off of Rt 9 in Rockville. Once over the bridge continue on asphalt until the road splits. Go left on the dirt road. The asphalt road continues to Grafton. The dirt road will ascend and get a bit rutted, but is 2wd passable in dry conditions. 3 miles from Rt 9, turn right onto dirt track and find many campsites. A little further along the main dirt road on the left are more camping opportunities.

Quieter conditions usually will exist at the mesa site as opposed to Mosquito Cove which is right next to Rt 9.

Hyadventure wrote:Cut and pasted

The best spot to camp on BLM land near Zion is at Mosquito Cove between mile markers 23 and 24 on Highway 9. As you're going toward Zion, it'll be on the right. On the weekends, you have to get there early because it'll be full. There's no potable water and no bathroom facilities. Bring a poop bag or else use the restrooms in Springdale. If you treat the water, you can get all the water you want from the Virgin River that flows right by.

There's another place called "the Mesa" on BLM land, but it's harder to get to. You got to turn in Rockville to get there.

Read more: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... z0vlVYt194

groll

Mosquito cove is pretty nasty

by groll » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:58 pm

We camped there over Memorial day weekend, and it was packed. There was toilet paper and feces all over the ground as people wouldn't even make the effort to dig a hole. I agree, if you can camp in your vehicle, it will work, but if not, prepare for dangerous conditions

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Excuse me ..

WHY even go during the busiest time of the year?

WHY not wait 'til October or November?
No skeeters, less people, and the air is crisper and fresher!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:36 pm

People who want to do canyons often go to Zion NP in summer. There are camps on the plateau above 6000', with a 30-35 F swing to lower T at night.

no avatar
yommytec

Re:

by yommytec » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:57 pm

Mosquito Cove is also a good place for me. Unfortunately it was shut down about 2 years ( or so ) ago and never reopened ( or am I wrong ?).

Rockclimber77

Re: Re:

by Rockclimber77 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:48 pm

yommytec wrote:Mosquito Cove is also a good place for me. Unfortunately it was shut down about 2 years ( or so ) ago and never reopened ( or am I wrong ?).

I camped there last year it is free and actually a very nice campground..

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:53 am

yommytec wrote:Mosquito Cove is also a good place for me. Unfortunately it was shut down about 2 years ( or so ) ago and never reopened ( or am I wrong ?).

Sounds like a place where there would be hundreds of nasty skeeters. I don't see Mosquito Cove in my future.

8)
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:35 am

lcarreau wrote:

Sounds like a place where there would be hundreds of nasty skeeters. I don't see Mosquito Cove in my future.
8)

Mainly, it's an area with no outhouses (until the recent port-a-potties) where people have camped for 40 years.

Return to Utah