living in AK, advice

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
nickmech

by nickmech » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:44 am

I lived in Alaska from 1980 to mid 90's so this might be a little dated but I loved everything about it. We raised a family and struggled to make a living on a few swampy acres and fished and hunted and kept the wood stove blazing. Visiting Alaska in the summer as a tourist and living there are two different things. What Steve said is very true. Winters are very long, summer is short and not very hot but can be nice depending what part of the state your in. Southeast it rains, and rains... We eventually moved south because my wife missed family and burned out on the winters. Many people that move up don't last a couple years and leave. Schools were as good or bad as anywhere else but nice buildings because the state has so much money to spend on everything. Don't know anything about lawyer jobs. Plenty of lawyers everywhere. Alaskans can be very clanish until you've been there a while and fit in. This is a huge state with a very diverse culture of Native villages and small towns. I tell young people I meet sometimes to move to Alaska. For years I wanted to move back but it wasn't to be. "Land of the last frontier". Alaska has a draw about it. I say go North!

timfoltz

Lawyers in Alaska

by timfoltz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:13 pm

I have spent a fair amount of time up in mostly the Western area of the state and love it! There is a chance I may be moving there after graduate school. For Geology graduates who want to work in oil and gas the big companies typically give a choice of Houston or Alaska (I know which I would pick). All these companies have lawyers at least on retainer if not on contract so I would imagine that could be a branch your husband could become involved in. Just a thought...

Tonka

by Tonka » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:54 pm

I disagree with Tonka's advice about crab fishing. The heydays of crab fishing are over and the majority of their legal issues are handled in Washington (where most of the fleet is based). Kodiak, Sitka, and Juneau really aren't near significant crab fisheries.

My comments were tongue in cheek in regards to getting rich on the Discovery Channel :)

Previous

Return to Canada and Alaska