What kinds of questions do stupid people ask?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Bruno

by Bruno » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:02 pm

Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:Actually there are many why-questions (at least in science) that can be given a straight answer!

Exactly! :!:

I fully second Ejnar's statement! There are indeed so many important why-questions for which science has given a straight answer! Just consider these few examples:

In the field of physics: Why will a climber fall if he misses his hold?

In the field of climate science: Why do increased greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere lead to increased average earth temperatures?

In the field of biology: Why have living organisms evolved from a common ancestor, and why will they continue to evolve?

However, one big unsolved question remains in the field of psychology: Why do some people continue to deny the evidence? :?: :wink:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:25 pm

Well, perhaps "Doctor Phil" can answer the last one ???

Hey, WHY are you guys displaying humor? This is Summitpost, for crying out loud !!!

Jeff M

by Jeff M » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:42 pm

Here, I fixed it for you...

Last edited by Jeff M on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick B

by Patrick B » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:03 pm

I was in school talking to one of my friends about climbing in the Gunks:

Me: "So we were around 300 feet up. My arm was too short so I had to dyno, or jump, to the next hold, but my hand slipped off and I fell."
Him: "Were you attached to anything?" :?

No, I happened to land on a trampoline.

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:26 pm

When I'm sitting next to a trail, for example, taking a break by eating a sandwich.

Some party comes along, stops to enjoy the view, and someone asks, "So, eatin' a sandwich, are ya?"

gobriango

by gobriango » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:47 pm

I love the " What elevation we at " question for Alaska.

A friend and I were cycling along a lake in Glacier Nat. Park, on a pretty hilly road. When we got to the other end of the lake (about 20 miles) but still at the lakeshore, I asked him "how much higher do you think this side of the lake is than the other side ? " To which he answered " At least 500ft"

The worst part was, that no matter how many times I try to explain to him that it was the same elevation, he wouldnt listen !!!

I still make in fun of him to this day about it.

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

by Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:11 pm

Bruno_Tibet wrote:
Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:Actually there are many why-questions (at least in science) that can be given a straight answer!

I fully second Ejnar's statement! There are indeed so many important why-questions for which science has given a straight answer! Just consider these few examples:

In the field of climate science: Why do increased greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere lead to increased average earth temperatures?

In the field of biology: Why have living organisms evolved from a common ancestor, and why will they continue to evolve?

However, one big unsolved question remains in the field of psychology: Why do some people continue to deny the evidence? :?: :wink:

I am not denying any of the three, but for question two I wonder why generally people don't say 'greenhouse gases', they say 'CO2', which is neither the most common, nor the strongest greenhouse gas! :lol:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Now,WHY did we arrive to that subject again?

I always liked The Rolling Stones take on "gases:"

"I was born in a cross-fire hurricane,
And I howled at my ma in the driving rain;
But it's all right now, in fact, it's a gas!
But it's all right, I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash,
It's a Gas! Gas! Gas...!"

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:27 am

"Do we need oxygen to reach the top?", asked by two women in dress shoes and with handbags, on the trail to Charleston Peak (11918'). I guess the correct answer was "yes."

(OK, this was reported to me by a friend.)

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:45 am

Just this past week I got pulled over by a highway patrol officer in the black hills. I was going 63 in a 55 and going downhill. I thought it a bit ridicules, but understood when he asked: "Are you guys going climbing?" We only had a bumper sticker that said "Rock Climb" on it and all are packs, rope and protection laying around in the car.

It doesn't take a detective to figure out what we were up too. :D

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:51 am

MoapaPk wrote:"Do we need oxygen to reach the top?", asked by two women in dress shoes and with handbags, on the trail to Charleston Peak (11918'). I guess the correct answer was "yes."

(OK, this was reported to me by a friend.)

Aaaaaah... if the women were "breathtaking," they I guess almost anybody who witnessed
their beauty needed oxygen.

8)

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:55 am

lcarreau wrote:
Aaaaaah... if the women were "breathtaking," they I guess almost anybody who witnessed

8)

Worst joke of the day goes to lacarreau! :D

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:20 am

Hotoven wrote:
lcarreau wrote:

8)

Worst joke of the day goes to lacarreau! :D

THANKS ... you mean I finally won something?

At least you didn't call me stupid..

Bruno

by Bruno » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:38 am

lcarreau wrote:Hey, WHY are you guys displaying humor?

Because humour is another evidence of evolution:
Evolutionary explanation of humour [...] is an evolutionary and cognitive explanation of how and why any individual finds anything funny
source

lcarreau wrote:Well, perhaps "Doctor Phil" can answer the last one ???

Who is Doctor Phil? I checked, there's no SP member of that name.

Bruno

by Bruno » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:42 am

Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:
Bruno_Tibet wrote:

I am not denying any of the three, but for question two I wonder why generally people don't say 'greenhouse gases', they say 'CO2', which is neither the most common, nor the strongest greenhouse gas! :lol:

Haha, you're so funny! Thanks Ejnar!

Shall I rephrase your statement in a more simple way?
Why does always the only person always only mentioning CO2 always asks why others only always speak about CO2 (while they actually don't, of course)?

But I guess there is also an additional underlying question, as your latest post is probably again referring to water vapour as a greenhouse gas:
Why are some apparently well educated persons unable to understand the difference between a forcing and a feedback?

Cheers,
Bruno

PreviousNext

Return to General