Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Most climbed mountains in the world...

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby dskoon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:40 pm

billisfree wrote:For Scott to claim "most sources" say Mt. Hood gets 10,000 climbers per year.... it a highly unlikely figure.

During a "good" day they might get 100 climbers. Most days from May to June Mt. Hood might get 30-50 climbers on a weekend day. During mid-week, it's less.

During rest of year, with less than optimal conditions, they get far fewer.

I would think a ballbark estimate for Mt. Hood is 1000 to 3000 climbers a year.
Is this 10K number, that actual summiters or the number of attempts?

Bill, and where are you getting your "good day" estimates from? They seem mighty low to me, whereas the "sources" Scott mentioned, came from an article on the Wiki page, and I'm assuming they, the authors, got their numbers from the Forest Service registration pages.
Though I've only been up there a couple of times during peak season, May,(not including Saturday's hike and ski), I can attest to plenty of people being up there for several hours. An easy estimate would be on the order of a couple hundred, if not more. Your estimate of "30-50 seems more like a weekday number.

Btw, for anyone interested, conditions appear to be still decent up there, as I was reading a few of the clmbers' return reports.
dskoon

Postby Scott » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Attempts.

Sources vary, but as said most (not all) sources put the figure at around 10,000. See for yourself:

http://www.google.com/search?q=number+o ... art=0&sa=N

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... =&gs_rfai=

Either way, Mt. Hood isn't even remotely close to the most climbed mountain in the world.
Last edited by Scott on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott

Postby dskoon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Scott wrote:

Attempts.

Sources vary, but as said most (not all) sources put the figure at around 10,000. See for yourself:

http://www.google.com/search?q=number+o ... art=0&sa=N

Either way, Mt. Hood isn't even remotely close to the most climbed mountain in the world.[/quote]

Bold mine.
No, maybe night compared to some of the sacred mountains hiked by the followers shown in the Asian photos, but. . . that 10,000 attempts is definitely a verylarge number for a big, snow-covered mountain that requires crampons, ice axe, etc.
dskoon

Postby DanTheMan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Mauna Kea - 13803 ft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauna_Kea

My girlfriend commuted to the summit for a few weeks.

DanTheMan

Postby timd » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:57 am

How about the most notorious mountain of all.....The mountain of debt!
timd

Postby pearson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:31 am

If the hill I climbed at the empress' summer palace in Beijing on Sunday counts, I'm thinking that there were roughly 1.3 billion that climbed it with me.
pearson

Postby billisfree » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:22 am

Wikipedia is as good a source as the Nobel prize for global warming for Gore and peace prize for Obama.

In the Nobel prize - its more politics than reality.

Wikipedia is a poor source of accurate information. ANYBODY can post ANYTHING they they want... truth or not. Wikipedia does not double-check the accuracy of the information that people post on their site.

Wikipedia may be a good place to start one's reseach, but do not rely on that information.

My climbing guide and instructor himself clearly disagrees with the claim that Mt. Hood is the most climbed mountain in the world.

I've been up on the hogsback of Mt. Hood during the off-season... and basically hardly any people climb it EACH DAY from July to April.

To achieve that figure of 10,000 successful climbs, one is going to have to cram these climbs into two months... May and June. That means 140 people must climb EACH DAY for 60 days - even on bad weather days. I've been up to summit, 3 times during those two months (May and June) and I estimate that 5 to 30 people summited. Not all are on the summit at the same time. I've seen pictures that make it appear that 100 people are climbing... but that doesn't happen EVERY DAY.

Agree? Disagree?

(and thanks for correcting my spelling, Ejnar)
Last edited by billisfree on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
billisfree

Postby Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Nobel. :)

Although the English-speaking say it like "noble", it is pronounced more like "no-bell" in Scandinavian languages!
Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Re: Most climbed mountains in the world...

Postby ChrisJahn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:10 pm

Safe to say most climbed alpine mountain equals moderate/accessible/cheap. I would add Huayna Potosi in Bolivia as one of the most climbed 6000m mountains in the Andes. By the same token K2 should be on the very short list of least climbed mountains (no summit in 2013). It's up there but which is it now? (Not considering red tape/closed off areas). One would reckon Baintha Brakk to be at the top, in the realm of least popularly known mountains. There are lists on the net but what say the mountaineers?
ChrisJahn

Previous

Return to General