Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Down jacket question?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
 

Down jacket question?

Postby traveljunkie78 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi!
I'm looking to buy a new down jacket, but i dont know which one to buy. I'm debating between the Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero jacket or the Patagonia Fitz Roy. Can anyone tell me which one of these jacket will be better to keep warm?

Thanks
User Avatar
traveljunkie78

 
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby brokesomeribs » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:36 pm

Define "keep warm." Where will you be? What conditions? How long are your trips? Technical climbing or general mountaineering? Just wearing around town? How sensitive are you to weight requirements?

There are way too many variables.
User Avatar
brokesomeribs

 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:48 am
Location: New Jersey, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Postby Brad Marshall » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:38 pm

brokesomeribs wrote:Define "keep warm." Where will you be? What conditions? How long are your trips? Technical climbing or general mountaineering? Just wearing around town? How sensitive are you to weight requirements?

There are way too many variables.


Agreed, but if you need something for very cold temps and you're climbing check out the First Ascent Peak XV. For most other stuff when climbing you could probably get by with a synthetic.
User Avatar
Brad Marshall

 
Posts: 1948
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:54 pm
Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Thanked: 17 times in 15 posts

Postby 96avs01 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Unless you opt for the MH Subzero SL parka, I would recommend the Western Mountaineering Vapor for just a jacket sans hood.
User Avatar
96avs01

 
Posts: 1442
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:31 pm
Location: Woodland, California, United States
Thanked: 42 times in 32 posts

Postby radson » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:38 pm

Some MH Sub zero parkas :)

Image
User Avatar
radson

 
Posts: 1937
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:34 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Thanked: 109 times in 76 posts

Postby traveljunkie78 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:48 pm

I am looking for a jacket for general mounateering. I really dont mind the weight i just want a jacket that is warm in cold conditions. Maybe anyone can recommed any other Patagonia down jackets that are good?
User Avatar
traveljunkie78

 
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby Autoxfil » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:12 pm

"Cold" is very general.

How cold? 0ºC? -20? -40? Windy? Altitude?

If you're not concerned about weight that much, why down? It's very expensive and the main benefit is less weight.

The Patagonia DAS synthetic parka is the gold standard for a heavy synthetic puffy.

The Mountain Hardwear SubZero Parka is very warm and made of extremely durable materials.

Both are plenty of jacket for "general mountainering", if that means no winter ascents at high latitude or 6000m+ peaks.
User Avatar
Autoxfil

 
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:40 pm
Location: NEPA and Upper Jay, United States
Thanked: 36 times in 29 posts

Postby sneakyracer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Autoxfil wrote:"Cold" is very general.

How cold? 0ºC? -20? -40? Windy? Altitude?

If you're not concerned about weight that much, why down? It's very expensive and the main benefit is less weight.

The Patagonia DAS synthetic parka is the gold standard for a heavy synthetic puffy.

The Mountain Hardwear SubZero Parka is very warm and made of extremely durable materials.

Both are plenty of jacket for "general mountainering", if that means no winter ascents at high latitude or 6000m+ peaks.


Get the MH SubZero Parka w/hood. That is enough for most everything short of Denali and 7-8000M peaks
sneakyracer

 
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:52 am
Location: San Juan, United States
Thanked: 13 times in 11 posts

Postby 96avs01 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:16 am

sneakyracer wrote:Get the MH SubZero Parka w/hood. That is enough for most everything short of Denali and 7-8000M peaks


I used a Subzero parka on Denali and was never wishing for something warmer, note we climbed in June not May.

One thing to consider is if you will be wearing the jacket and a harness simultaneously. If so, and you decide on the MH Subzero, you may find the jacket vs. the parka to be less interference with your harness/rope/gear..
User Avatar
96avs01

 
Posts: 1442
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:31 pm
Location: Woodland, California, United States
Thanked: 42 times in 32 posts

Postby MScholes » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:48 am

If you're after something lighter and not for extreme cold, the patagonia down sweater is certainly awesome imo. I love mine to bits.
User Avatar
MScholes

 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:55 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Thanked: 4 times in 3 posts

Postby Woodie Hopper » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:17 am

You might also consider Montbell. Their stuff is reasonably priced, and often lightweight. I have one of their parkas and I've been happy with it: used down to -20C.

Woodie
User Avatar
Woodie Hopper

 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:06 pm
Location: Denver & Leadville, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 24 times in 20 posts

Postby sneakyracer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:03 am

Woodie Hopper wrote:You might also consider Montbell. Their stuff is reasonably priced, and often lightweight. I have one of their parkas and I've been happy with it: used down to -20C.

Woodie


Beware that Montbell Jackets are short. I measured my size L Alpine Light Down Parka at 26in center back length! Had to return it. Most Jackets (not parkas) are about 28.5-29in in size L.
sneakyracer

 
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:52 am
Location: San Juan, United States
Thanked: 13 times in 11 posts

Postby Hotoven » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:54 pm

There are many good threads on this topic that will help out. just search for them!
User Avatar
Hotoven

 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:06 pm
Location: Summit County, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 115 times in 87 posts


Return to Gear

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.