Vancouver Scrambles

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
Wandering Sole Images

Vancouver Scrambles

by Wandering Sole Images » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Hey, I'm going to be on the coast before and during the labour day weekend (September 4th). I haven't spent a whole lot of time out there and haven't got out to the hills in the limited time I have spent there. Last year around this time, I did the Brunswick scramble and was pretty impressed with the day out. What else would people recommend? Most likely it would have to be a feasible trip to do in a day leaving from Port Coquitlam... although I wouldn't rule out an overnight somewhere if there was some driving involved. The difficulty preference would be in the easy to moderate scramble range. And here's the kicker... I don't have a high clearance vehicle. Which is a problem on getting to the trailhead on the coast.

So, I guess I'm asking what is out there that is of a similar experience to Brunswick? Or alternatively... anyone up for a scramble out there? You drive? :D

I don't have my Scrambles of SW BC book with me at the moment... otherwise I could post a bit of a wish list... I'm back home on the 25th and can post some then. Overseer Mountain and Stewart Peak look so amazing... but if I recall, they're a bit of a drive from the coast, they require going up some rough roads and there's considerable hikes in to get to the mountain? Or, at least with Overseer, that's what my memory recalls reading.

Hope to hear some suggestions/invitations to head out!

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:32 am

Hey! Got your message!

I've been travelling like crazy myself. Can't think that far ahead at the moment, but I'm sure I will want to get up to something that weekend.

Let's keep in touch as it gets closer.

Bill Kerr

by Bill Kerr » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:28 am

Black Tusk is big day from road but outstanding views and moderate scramble.

Check on clubtread.

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:47 am

Believe it or not, Black Tusk is still on my "to do" list. Everyone I know has already done it. Would love to spend a night at Garibaldi lake after. I do have a couple friends who I may be able to convince to do it again. Would be cool to get a few people together.

KenGlover

by KenGlover » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:59 am

Overseer is out of the question right now following a recent massive land slide on mt Meager which obliterated a large part of the approach road.
Clubtread has good recent info.
I agree with Bill, Black Tusk is well worth the long hike to get there.
Another daytrip option - the south aspect of Tricouni Pk is a great and scenic scramble from the end of the Squamish Mainline Br200 road. 28 km from Squamish.

Have fun

James_W

by James_W » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:25 am

I would be interested in the Tusk myself just a short journey from Revelstoke to Van.

Also you could check out Sky Pilot, nice and close with scrambles.

http://www.bivouac.com/MtnPg.asp?MtnId=582

Wandering Sole Images

by Wandering Sole Images » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:16 pm

Peak Freak wrote:Hey! Got your message!

I've been travelling like crazy myself. Can't think that far ahead at the moment, but I'm sure I will want to get up to something that weekend.

Let's keep in touch as it gets closer.

Sounds great... keep me posted on when you're back! I did forget to mention that the reason I'm out there is to attend a wedding on the weekend... so anything I'll be doing would have to be in the week leading up to the long weekend. I'm not totally sure when I'm going to get out there, but I'm likely there the whole week before.

Thanks all for piping in! Perhaps I will have sparked a SP labour day gathering at Black Tusk with this thread! If you guys can piece it together, don't let my lack of availability on the weekend stop that. If there are a few people who want to go out there and can do it on a weekday, I could be convinced of it! I have been in that area on the way to Paradise Ridge. Very beautiful. I'd love to do anything that gives me a good introduction to the mountains and areas around the coast. If there's some good views of icefields, that would be fantastic too. :) That's why I really want to do Overseer someday... the views look unreal.

Thanks Ken and James for the suggestions (and update on getting to Overseer) ... I'll read up on those further when I get back home. Are those accessible for someone with a low clearance vehicle?

And James, I see you are from Revelstoke. What do you know about the area of the Clachacudainn Icefields? Every time I've asked someone from Revelstoke about the icefields in the park, they've always responded with "do you mean in Glacier National Park?" There seems to be no talk or information of the Clachacudainn Icefields... or even awareness of their existance sometimes! I hear there's some scrambles around the icefields. I do have a phone number of a guy around Revelstoke who's supposed to be the one to talk to... left a few messages and never heard back. Maybe (probably?) he's guarding his secrets well. :D

Anyone feel free to pm me if you have some weekday time free before labour day...

James_W

by James_W » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:05 am

Hulio wrote:And James, I see you are from Revelstoke. What do you know about the area of the Clachacudainn Icefields? Every time I've asked someone from Revelstoke about the icefields in the park, they've always responded with "do you mean in Glacier National Park?" There seems to be no talk or information of the Clachacudainn Icefields... or even awareness of their existance sometimes! I hear there's some scrambles around the icefields. I do have a phone number of a guy around Revelstoke who's supposed to be the one to talk to... left a few messages and never heard back. Maybe (probably?) he's guarding his secrets well. :D

The problem with the icefield is access more than anything. If I was in that area my visit would be to the Inverness peaks (there is a huge glacier on the other side similar to the Lyell's)

Wandering Sole Images

by Wandering Sole Images » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:47 pm

Hey, I've arrived on the coast... I'm thinking of doing Vantage Peak tomorrow... 2WD approach and views of icefields... I'm going to look into it more later today and maybe do the drive tonight (to wherever I end up) and car camp. I'm open to other ideas and may get another day in this week too. If anyone's around, let me know!

James_W

by James_W » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:20 am

Just got back from the other side of Inverness peaks (Clachacudainn Icefield drainage) really beautiful area.

Return to Canada and Alaska