Allergic to Silk Liner Socks?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Moni

by Moni » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:06 am

Try a synthetic liner - if you get no rash, then you have a silk allergy, if you do, then it may be due to excessive sweating, or similar

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:36 pm

The problem is probably not the silk it's probably a mild latex allergy. I get the same rash with synthetic liner socks. According to one manufacturer, their polypropylene liner socks have less latex than their others, but they also have less fiber so the latex is closer to the skin. I once took a benadryl during a hike and didn't get the rash that day. Try taking an antihistamine and see if you still get the rash. For what its worth, cool-max liner socks, which are thicker than the others, seem to be the most rash-free for me.

Moni

by Moni » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:18 am

I have the sweaty foot problem, too, and have had little luck with synthetics. Thus I went to using wool. My liner is either a very thin wool one or a synthetic. Depends on conditions, which liner I use. Never have used more than 2 socks, so the 3 sock combo is new to me. But, if it works, why argue?

Had not thought of the latex, but it is a real possibility. Most hospitals have quit using latex (my daughter is a nurse in a hospital), so are you sure you are really using latex gloves at work?

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:52 pm

ridgewalker16 wrote:Interesting ideas.

I don't really favor synthetic socks because in the past I tried them with trail runners and despite their claims I found them rather sweaty. That's why I started going with Smartwool socks (which get sweaty too but they just don't feel as uncomfortable when sweaty to me.) I am willing to give synthetic socks a try again however and will pick up a pair of liners to try out as replacements for the silk. As you said, if I have no reaction with the synthetic liner, that would be good proof of a silk allergy.

The idea about a latex allergy is very interesting. I really never thought about latex in socks. I would be surprised if it was the case with me, however because I work in a hospital and wear latex gloves for short times at work on a daily basis and never have observed any reaction to latex in myself.

Thanks for your ideas. Anyone else have any ideas or experienced a problem like this?

I've never observed any other significant reaction to latex either. At first, I thought it was a reaction to insect repellent sprayed on the socks, but when new socks did the same thing I ruled that out. It was the fact that benadryl seemed to prevent the rash that led me to believe it was the latex. I usually only get the rash in the summer; it doesn't itch or anything and goes away in a day or so. Of course, I don't see any reason that silk might not do the same thing; that just isn't the cause in my case.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Dingus Milktoast wrote:Doc my feet turn red since I switched to the 3-sock system. This never happened with the two-sock system.

Doc says - go back to two sock system.

Confucius says same.

DMT

Ain't that simple. Liner socks have their advantage, and neither of us seem to mind that our feet turn red. So a better answer is: "Don't worry; be happy!"

8)

Return to Gear