three-to-four good 3rd class routes in Eastern Sierras

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
tb00957

by tb00957 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:27 pm

The ones I liked:

Russell
Ruskin
Milestone
Harrington
Goethe
Independence
Tower
Muir
Winchell
Gayley

Some I haven't climbed. Going to try McAdie and Whorl next month.

IMHO, middle palisade is steep and fun, but has some loose rocks in it. Be very careful there isn't a party above you that kicks stuff off. And university is a pile of scree, sorry.

Linda

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:00 pm

Hopefully the OP has some good ideas by now, so I will hijack the thread for my own nefarious purposes :)

How hard is the traverse from Johnson to Trapezoid ? I was thinking of heading up from South Lake to Treasure Col to Johnson's NW Ridge, then heading over to Trapezoid, finally down its NW ridge and back via the Bishop Pass trail. I seem to remember someone saying class 4, but cannot find the thread.

edit: Never mind, Secor says the W Ridge from Johnson is class 3.

Michael Graupe

by Michael Graupe » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:34 pm

Rob, the traverse is class 3. Maybe a little loose in places. I assume you mean the NE-ridge of Trapezoid for the descent. This is a great loop.

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:48 pm

Excellent, thanks Michael ! Should have looked at the summit logs on the SP page .. must be short of caffeine this morning :)

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:33 pm

To the original poster, threads like this are kind of annoying. What are you looking for? A list of all class 3s and 4s? Do you have a trip planned? To what area(s), etc.? As you can tell, people on this site are more than happy to be helpful. All those good suggestions might be a lot more meaningful if you let them know what you're looking for. Just seems like you're asking everyone else to do your research for you.

thegib

by thegib » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:00 pm

Although lazy vagueness bugs me too I do like seeing these lists. I've been led to some great stuff this way.

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:12 pm

thegib wrote:Although lazy vagueness bugs me too I do like seeing these lists. I've been led to some great stuff this way.

Me too. I like reading what others have enjoyed (and what they find overrated). I view those kind of long term, things I'd like to get to in the next five or ten years, schedule permitting.

Just doesn't make alot of sense though to be asking for climbs throughout the range when you'll only be in the Whitney quadrangle.

Previous

Return to California