Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Grizzly attack just outside Yellowstone

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.

Postby mrchad9 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:45 pm

gwave47 wrote:Maybe in the future I'll let my hiking partner carry a can of bear spray

Well, at least you are considerate!
mrchad9

Postby Jakester » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:
Jakester wrote:
SoCalHiker wrote:You know what is scary (much more than the thought of encountering a bear in the wild): irrational people like you carrying guns

This is a very true statement. (...story about people being more dangerous than bears...)

Did this homo sapien take out his rifle and stick it in your mouth? WTF does your personal road rage situation in NP has anything to do with GUNS in national parks? Humans have these personal fights everwhere...

This thread is about bear attacks. Some people in this thread are too scared of bears to go into bear territory. I'm just trying to make a point that bears aren't the biggest threat to people. Here I was, in "scary" bear country, more likely get in a fight (or shot) by some hothead than even see a bear.
Jakester

Postby mrchad9 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:21 pm

What's the quota and season for hunting the ultimate game?
mrchad9

Postby mrchad9 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:
MikeTX wrote:i think if a grizzly charged me in the wild, i would probably just shit myself. maybe he would be turned off by the odor and leave me alone.

A friend of a friend successfully scared a black bear away by vomiting on it. So your plan would probably work too.

The bear should press charges...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36595019/
mrchad9

Postby Arthur Digbee » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:18 pm

mrchad9 wrote:
Arthur Digbee wrote:
MikeTX wrote:i think if a grizzly charged me in the wild, i would probably just shit myself. maybe he would be turned off by the odor and leave me alone.

A friend of a friend successfully scared a black bear away by vomiting on it. So your plan would probably work too.

The bear should press charges...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36595019/

I think he has a self-defense exception. Plus, it was an unintentional vomit.

My friend and others were sleeping on a cabin roof in Colorado. The cabin was built on a hillside, so the roof came most of the way to the ground on the uphill side. The star of the story was awakened to a foul smell, opened his eyes, and saw that he was being inspected face-to-face by a black bear. He vomited all over the bear. The bear ran off.
Arthur Digbee

Postby simonov » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Watch out for Yellowstone bears — they're hungry!

Associated Press wrote:Yellowstone's grizzlies are going to be particularly hungry this fall, and that means more dangerous meetings with humans in a year that is already the area's deadliest on record.

Scientists report that a favorite food of many bears, nuts from whitebark pine cones, is scarce. So as grizzlies look to put on some major pounds in preparation for the long winter ahead, scientists say, they will be looking for another source of protein — meat — and running into trouble along the way.

Wildlife managers already report bears coming down off the mountains and into areas frequented by hunters, berry pickers and hikers.

"Pack your bear spray: there's going to be run-ins," said grizzly researcher Chuck Schwartz with the U.S. Geological Survey.

Two people have been fatally mauled by grizzlies so far this year in Wyoming and Montana. Experts said that's the most in one year in at least a century for the Yellowstone region, which also includes parts of Idaho.
simonov

Previous

Return to News