How did you start? Your first climbs??

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
rhyang

by rhyang » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:24 pm

rpc wrote:What do you think about that book?

It has some stuff in it that I've not seen elsewhere. Some of the stuff is obviously better covered by other books (eg. Tuolumne Meadows, Pinnacles). Some of it looks over-rated (a slab at Tollhouse Rock for example). It kind of gives you a taste of each area, but isn't really comprehensive for any of them. I did find out about a few areas that I plan to visit.

So the book is in front of me, and lists a few "seaside" climbing areas on the North Coast -

- Salt Point State Park (sonoma coast) - bouldering, sport climbing, some trad

- Moonstone Beach (near Arcata) - sport climbing, bouldering

- Patricks Point (near Arcata) - sport climbing, some trad

- Promontory (near Crescent City) - sport climbing

- Footsteps (near Crescent City) - sport climbing

Tom Slater lists a more comprehensive guidebook for the north coast as Bigfoot Country Climbing by Eric Chemello and Paul Humphrey. He says Bay Area Rock by Jim Thornburg is the one for Salt Point SP. I've seen pics of your climbing library Radek, and you might as well just get this one :) Oh, and it has several pics of notable SP'ers in it :lol:

rpc

by rpc » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:49 pm

rhyang wrote:
rpc wrote:What do you think about that book?

It has some stuff in it that I've not seen elsewhere. Some of the stuff is obviously better covered by other books (eg. Tuolumne Meadows, Pinnacles). Some of it looks over-rated (a slab at Tollhouse Rock for example). It kind of gives you a taste of each area, but isn't really comprehensive for any of them. I did find out about a few areas that I plan to visit.

So the book is in front of me, and lists a few "seaside" climbing areas on the North Coast -

- Salt Point State Park (sonoma coast) - bouldering, sport climbing, some trad

- Moonstone Beach (near Arcata) - sport climbing, bouldering

- Patricks Point (near Arcata) - sport climbing, some trad

- Promontory (near Crescent City) - sport climbing

- Footsteps (near Crescent City) - sport climbing

Tom Slater lists a more comprehensive guidebook for the north coast as Bigfoot Country Climbing by Eric Chemello and Paul Humphrey. He says Bay Area Rock by Jim Thornburg is the one for Salt Point SP. I've seen pics of your climbing library Radek, and you might as well just get this one :) Oh, and it has several pics of notable SP'ers in it :lol:

thanks Rob! I actually had a very brief opportunity to flip through it. Nothing really was eye catching enough to make me want to dish out the $$ but I wanted a local's opinion. Becoming more selective on the library additions these days :)

TimmyC

by TimmyC » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:18 pm

Arthur Digbee wrote:
emmieuk wrote:why do i have to have a stupid office job for a stupid big shot investment firm...

i want to work outdoors!!!

So you can buy nice gear and take longer, more expensive trips in the outdoors.

There, I fixed it for you.

CindyAbbott

Re: How did you start? Your first climbs??

by CindyAbbott » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:36 pm

tonyo wrote:
CindyAbbott wrote:
emmieuk wrote:What were your first climbs?

Up the tree in my front yard when I was 4 years old. I went so far up my Dad had to call the fire department to get me down. These days I can get myself down :lol:

Congratulations on your Everest summit!!
Trees ---> Everest. Nice progression. Was Dad still around to see it?[/quote]

Too funny but it is true. I guess I never had an issue with exposure :wink:

Yup Dad is still here. He has always thought I was a bit off the norm, but who wants to be normal!?! NOT ME :mrgreen:

The following user would like to thank CindyAbbott for this post
Lolli

ksolem

by ksolem » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:42 pm

jschrock wrote:How did I start...

good parenting... 8)

Nice!

I started at the Gunks with a mad man. For my first route he led me up Three Pines. For my second he said it was my turn to lead and I did Horseman. Then we crossed the road and he led Disneyland and we swung leads on Gelsa.

I was so hooked!

Jukka Ahonen

by Jukka Ahonen » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:05 am

I started with rock climbing in 1995, mostly around Helsinki area in Finland. Nothing really hardcore, hardest routes were around 5.11d or so. After my military service I quit climbing for a number of years, until getting back to it just a couple of years ago, and during this time my interest has been shifting from rocks and boulders towards something bigger, and now I have summited the highest peaks in Finland, Sweden and Norway, and am currently planning a trip to Peru.

CindyAbbott

by CindyAbbott » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Dubzion wrote:am currently planning a trip to Peru.

Where to?

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:51 am

Arthur Digbee wrote:Hiking with Boy Scouts got me started. I'll predict that you hear this from a lot of the Americans on the site.

Same here. Boy Scouts got me started hiking. Then, rock climbing in a high school PE class. Didn't start ice or very technical mountaineering until I read Touching the Void.

Bryan K

by Bryan K » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:06 am

My first hike was an attempt on Mt Elbert in CO. I didn't make it due to altitude sickness. It was still a fun time and we eventually on that same trip summited Wheeler Peak in NM and Boundry Peak in Nevada.

CindyAbbott

by CindyAbbott » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:34 pm

mconnell wrote:
Arthur Digbee wrote:Hiking with Boy Scouts got me started. I'll predict that you hear this from a lot of the Americans on the site.

Same here. Boy Scouts got me started hiking. Then, rock climbing in a high school PE class. Didn't start ice or very technical mountaineering until I read Touching the Void.[/quote]

I didn't read Touching the Void until after I met Simon Yates on Peak Lenin. Nice Guy.

emmieuk

by emmieuk » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:55 pm

thanks everyone for sharing your stories with me :)

Damn I want to go climbing today! not long until Saturday

emmieuk

by emmieuk » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:02 pm

jschrock wrote:How did I start...

good parenting... 8)

that is so lovely!!

Gator

by Gator » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:07 pm

My first hike was 3 days through the heart of the everglades in highschool. Then a 100 mile hike in the Smokies. I bought the book Freedom of the Hills, went to the Wind Rivers in 1980 for 3 weeks and was way over my head and loving being scared out of my wits!

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:07 pm

Gator wrote:way over my head and loving being scared out of my wits!

Thats the only way to get better!

Gator

by Gator » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:23 pm

THis stuff scares me too!
[img][img]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/drewmig/IMG_0427.jpg[/img][/img]

PreviousNext

Return to General