Need a good GPS system but not ridiculous price!!

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:02 pm

95% of the time, a map is all I need.

5% of the time I pull out the compass and take a quick bearing to make sure I know where I am.

I have not yet wished I had a GPS, although if I ever go on a trip where my life depends on navigating in zero visibility I will bring one. Most of the time, it's safer to just sit it out.

no avatar
Edgewood

by Edgewood » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:41 pm

Wow Moni, thats great information. Time to get schooled!

Moni

by Moni » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:44 am

SpiderSavage wrote:
Learn about latitude, longitude, degrees, minutes and seconds and then understand the markings that represent these around the edge ot the topo map. At this point you'll be ready for GPS but you won't need one because you'll already know exactly where you are. (unless you hike/climb in the UK where it's foggy all the time)

In the UK learn to use Grid Reference, which works just like UTM. Most of Europe also uses a grid reference system set up like UTM - much easier to use than Lat/Long and relates directly to distance.

More and more agencies in the US are using UTM or USNG, which is essentially the same thing. All USGS topo maps support UTM as does most software - much easier to use than lat/long.

delmarco

Re: Need a good GPS system but not ridiculous price!!

by delmarco » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:31 am

emmieuk wrote:Hi Guys,

Seeing as maps when unfolded are more or less the same size as me and because I never did get compasses!! and I quit the duke of Edinburgh award (the navigation course) at school because no boys went...sigh....13 year old girls need a slap!!

So...consequently I cannot read maps too well and a GPS system is more me. Can anyone advise me on a decent one which does not cost the earth??

Do they all use those memory maps that you can buy???

xx

No longer need this since I got a new factory navigation installed in my car at the dealership under warranty that replaced a faulty radio.

Mint Condition in box with all original accessories, Software CD, etc. I also will include the custom 11 inch long dash mount and the vent mount.

Software and Maps (MEXICO, CANADA & USA) updated as of September 1st 2010.

I paid over $200 for everything. BEST OFFER GETS IT or $100 takes it.

PM me or email olaf2046@tmo.blackberry.net if you are interested or want to make an offer. I take Paypal.

http://img69.imageshack.us/g/tomtomgo720fs.jpg/

jstoshick

GPS - do you want one?

by jstoshick » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:33 pm

I have one - a Garmin 76scx with 4gb of memory extra and the maps (also extra). I will sell for a good price. PM me if interested.

MoapaPk

Re: GPS - do you want one?

by MoapaPk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:08 pm

jstoshick wrote:I have one - a Garmin 76scx with 4gb of memory extra and the maps (also extra). I will sell for a good price. PM me if interested.

Do you have the maps for GB?

simonov

by simonov » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:12 pm

emmieuk wrote:I hate maps

I'm aware that, for many people, a map holds neither meaning nor mystery. I can only hope, compassionately, that the rest of their existence isn't equally poverty-stricken.

- Colin Fletcher

Moni

by Moni » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:02 am

redneck wrote:
emmieuk wrote:I hate maps

I'm aware that, for many people, a map holds neither meaning nor mystery. I can only hope, compassionately, that the rest of their existence isn't equally poverty-stricken.

- Colin Fletcher

+1

Maps are so beautiful and cool! The whole concept of geolocation, both as human emotion (it is, BTW) and cultural artifact, is amazing.

no avatar
hatidua

by hatidua » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:21 am

You can get a Garmin 60Cx, new, for about $200 online now with a bit of googling. A decent unit that will cover most peoples needs.

Maps are great. No harm in augmenting them with satellites though.

Previous

Return to Gear