Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

I did it :) I did my first ever climb...

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
 

Postby Buz Groshong » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:38 pm

xDoogiex wrote:Awesome! Congratulations! Yes, soon you will be able to tackle mt. Sunflower.


Interresting to note that the highest mountain you've done is a 6,000er that's a short walk from the parking lot to the summit. :lol:
User Avatar
Buz Groshong

 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:58 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Thanked: 664 times in 468 posts

Postby Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 pm

When you are in Snowdonia it is quite hard to believe that the mountains there aren't higher than the map says. When you usually climb in the Alps you would guess that they were more than twice as high (See, for instance, my photo of Crib Goch). Also, the height of Snowdon from the starting point of several routes is about the same as the height of the Wildspitze (3774m/12538 ft. second highest in Austria) over the Breslauer hut, so a Welsh climb can involve an Alpine difference of height!

I haven't seen Cadair Idris, but from what I have read it sounds like a very respectable first climb. Congratulations, Emmie, and many happy returns!
User Avatar
Ejnar Fjerdingstad

 
Posts: 7511
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:34 am
Location: Frederiksværk, Northern Zealand, Denmark
Thanked: 625 times in 409 posts

Postby RayMondo » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:42 pm

emmieuk wrote:Thanks Dan that is really kind of you :)

Really want to do one in the winter as it is winter climbing with snow etc that I really want to get into


Winter climbing is something special. Indeed, my first experience remains, perhaps, the most special. I followed our group up Crib Goch, Snowdonia, in a murky gloom of an exceptionally hard winter. Then, suddenly, we entered the mystery of swirling, billowing clouds that filled us with liquid oxygen, as is we were in a fantastical realm. And then we stepped above the cloudline. There are no words to adequately describe it. And so my winter climbing life began.

Nice to see someone who has escaped the melee to engage their soul in the heights. One can find it there. Enjoy. Ray.
User Avatar
RayMondo

 
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Thanked: 139 times in 115 posts

Postby Corax » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:03 pm

emmieuk wrote:...people start somewhere and for a party girl who usually spends a saturday shopping or recovering from a hangover and where the only thing i have ever climbed is my stairs, I did OK.


Yep, there's always a starting point for everything and mine was on Tenerife. Hangover after too much partying I felt I had to get out of the drinking ghettos in Play de Los Americas. I aimed high. As high as one can get on Tenerife.Teide. That slog almost killed me. Well, it felt like that that day. Dehydrated, splitting headache, nausea etc. The views and the triumph felt reaching the summit was great though and I was sure a new interest was born. More mountains followed...
So what's the bottom line?
That excessive drinking can result in something good?
:D 8)

Congrats Emmie.
User Avatar
Corax

 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:13 pm
Thanked: 16 times in 8 posts

Postby MoapaPk » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:20 am

Two California peaks--

Mopah, 3530':
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... point.html

White Mountain, 14246':
http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -peak.html

Which is harder?
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7603
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 736 times in 475 posts

Postby xDoogiex » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:43 am

Buz Groshong wrote:
xDoogiex wrote:Awesome! Congratulations! Yes, soon you will be able to tackle mt. Sunflower.


Interresting to note that the highest mountain you've done is a 6,000er that's a short walk from the parking lot to the summit. :lol:


it was the warm up up for the deadly Wheeler Peak of the lost land known as new Mexico
User Avatar
xDoogiex

 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Westminster , Colorado, United States
Thanked: 33 times in 13 posts

Postby emmieuk » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:17 am

Corax I have been to Teide too!! although I got a nice bus up there :) felt really dizzy once off the bus and short of breath but looking back i was at over 12,000 feet!! You did well to climb that dude. How long did it take?? If it took me 3 hrs to reach a 3,000 summit then goodness knows how long it took you to climb that!
User Avatar
emmieuk

 
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:28 am
Location: Liverpool, United Kingdom
Thanked: 11 times in 10 posts

Postby Buz Groshong » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:58 pm

xDoogiex wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:
xDoogiex wrote:Awesome! Congratulations! Yes, soon you will be able to tackle mt. Sunflower.


Interresting to note that the highest mountain you've done is a 6,000er that's a short walk from the parking lot to the summit. :lol:


it was the warm up up for the deadly Wheeler Peak of the lost land known as new Mexico


Somwhow I missed Wheeler Peak and Harney Peak when I looked at your profile. Don't know about Wheeler Peak, but Harney Peak is definitely easier than the one she did even if it is higher.
User Avatar
Buz Groshong

 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:58 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Thanked: 664 times in 468 posts

Postby Hotoven » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:
xDoogiex wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:
xDoogiex wrote:Awesome! Congratulations! Yes, soon you will be able to tackle mt. Sunflower.


Interresting to note that the highest mountain you've done is a 6,000er that's a short walk from the parking lot to the summit. :lol:


it was the warm up up for the deadly Wheeler Peak of the lost land known as new Mexico


Somwhow I missed Wheeler Peak and Harney Peak when I looked at your profile. Don't know about Wheeler Peak, but Harney Peak is definitely easier than the one she did even if it is higher.


I don't doubt you, but we did a 4th and 5th class scramble up the North East Side of the joint. xDoogiex had to even rope up. I think thats still a little harder than the hike in the OP :wink:
User Avatar
Hotoven

 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:06 pm
Location: Summit County, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 115 times in 87 posts

Postby Buz Groshong » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:28 pm

Hotoven wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:
xDoogiex wrote:
Buz Groshong wrote:
xDoogiex wrote:Awesome! Congratulations! Yes, soon you will be able to tackle mt. Sunflower.


Interresting to note that the highest mountain you've done is a 6,000er that's a short walk from the parking lot to the summit. :lol:


it was the warm up up for the deadly Wheeler Peak of the lost land known as new Mexico


Somwhow I missed Wheeler Peak and Harney Peak when I looked at your profile. Don't know about Wheeler Peak, but Harney Peak is definitely easier than the one she did even if it is higher.


I don't doubt you, but we did a 4th and 5th class scramble up the North East Side of the joint. xDoogiex had to even rope up. I think thats still a little harder than the hike in the OP :wink:


Could be. Of course there are plenty of people here that have done tougher climbs than either of you that aren't poking fun at your climbs. :wink:

Oh, and some of my best friends are highpointers, but I wouldn't want my sister to marry one!
Last edited by Buz Groshong on Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User Avatar
Buz Groshong

 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:58 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Thanked: 664 times in 468 posts

Postby James_W » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:02 pm

Hotoven wrote:I don't doubt you, but we did a 4th and 5th class scramble up the North East Side of the joint. xDoogiex had to even rope up. I think thats still a little harder than the hike in the OP :wink:


Do you have pics of this? might be good to provide on the mountain page.
User Avatar
James_W

 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 2:47 pm
Location: Northern Okanagan, BC, Canada
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Postby Hotoven » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:15 pm

James_W wrote:
Hotoven wrote:I don't doubt you, but we did a 4th and 5th class scramble up the North East Side of the joint. xDoogiex had to even rope up. I think thats still a little harder than the hike in the OP :wink:


Do you have pics of this? might be good to provide on the mountain page.


I do have photos, but knoback took us up and its his route. I don't know if he wants it on the internet. I can throw some photos up, but if you want route information you can PM knoback and get the lowdown! :D

http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=2029
User Avatar
Hotoven

 
Posts: 1863
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:06 pm
Location: Summit County, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 115 times in 87 posts

Postby Corax » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:21 pm

emmieuk wrote:Corax I have been to Teide too!! although I got a nice bus up there :) felt really dizzy once off the bus and short of breath but looking back i was at over 12,000 feet!! You did well to climb that dude. How long did it take?? If it took me 3 hrs to reach a 3,000 summit then goodness knows how long it took you to climb that!


I don't remember, but it was a full day and I was totally wasted after the hike. The girl I hiked with and I were giggling like children all the way back to the coast. The girl who drove the rented car (she didn't hike up) got really annoyed and that made us laugh even more. We were in a stupor from exhaustion and dehydration and I remember I could hardly walk the day after. The ride back is actually my strongest memory. Weird.
User Avatar
Corax

 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:13 pm
Thanked: 16 times in 8 posts

Postby CindyAbbott » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Great job on your first climb! I completely missed this thread until now. It's a crazy world but sure lets you know that you are alive! You have to try ice climbing next - wild fun!!!
User Avatar
CindyAbbott

 
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:31 pm
Location: Irvine, California
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Previous

Return to General

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.