question re Oil City to Third Beach hike

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
snowcave

question re Oil City to Third Beach hike

by snowcave » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Just got back from a Labor day backpacking trip from Oil City to Third Beach on the Olympic Peninsula. It was great. Mostly wonderful weather and some full-on rain. What's a beach hike without rain :)

This is the second time I've done this hike - I've explored this stretch a lot and have encountered a mystery about Goodman creek which is about half way between the start and end.

Some guidebooks say that you have to be careful to only "cross the mouth of Goodman Creek at low tide". Even the Oly park web site says this and I think I ran across a Washington state DNR geology web page that said the same thing.

For years the "standard" route around this headland has gone inland a good half mile before getting to the river mouth. When you finally cross the creek you're at an elevation of about 85 feet so tidal issues can't apply.

I got to look at the mouth of Goodman Crk this trip at "mid-tide" and it looks totally impassible and I'm pretty good at finding my way past supposedly impassable spots. And the fact that it is mentioned as passable implies there's somewhere to go.

Has anyone ever seen the mouth of Goodman creek at low tide? Is it passable? Is there stuff worth exploring on the other side. Was there an old route that crossed the mouth and then went inland?

Does anybody know anything about this?
Thanks.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)