Maroon Bells day hikes

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Michele

Maroon Bells day hikes

by Michele » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:08 pm

I have a climbing partner visiting from California this weekend and want to show them the fall colors and Maroon Bells. Not looking to climb out there, just hike and explore. What's a great day hike to do in the beautiful Maroon Bells? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Castlereagh

Re: Maroon Bells day hikes

by Castlereagh » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:17 pm

I think Buckskin pass is a pretty basic hike. I haven't been there myself, but looking at it from N Maroon it looks pretty easy, and you'd have good views towards Capitol, Snowmass, and the Pierre Lakes.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:24 pm

I'll second the Buckskin Pass suggestion. I have been up there twice. It is a stunning hike! I would recommend continuing on to the summit of Buckskin Benchmark. This is an easy hike to its summit and the views are even better from there.

Another good option is Electric Pass Peak. Again, nothing complicated about this hike. I would guess that it will be busier than Buckskin Benchmark though.

Both are great options - both under 10 miles with less than 4000 feet of elevation gain -with stunning scenery most of the way on each. I have Albums in my profile for both of these hikes, which will give you a good idea of what kind of scenery you'll get - which is spectacular!

Michele

by Michele » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks for those suggestions. I wasn't necessarily looking for easy, but if the scenery and views are great then that will make it more than worthwhile. The only problem with easy is having to share the trail with the masses.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Michele wrote:I wasn't necessarily looking for easy, but if the scenery and views are great then that will make it more than worthwhile. The only problem with easy is having to share the trail with the masses.

I went up Buckskin Benchmark on a Sunday in August and had the summit to myself. I would guess that the trail will be a little busy to Crater Lake, but the crowds will thin after that. You'll probably see a few backpackers on the way to Buckskin Pass (4 Pass Loop), but I doubt that it will be "busy". If you want to add some extra to the day you could always go up UN13039 from the Pass. I have not been up there, but have been informed that the ridgeline is Class 2+, with about 25 feet of solid Class 3+/4 stuff to get to the summit block.

no avatar
ZachF

by ZachF » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:04 pm

I think Electric pass has better views than Buckskin, but both are nice.

Michele

by Michele » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:31 pm

Thank you again, for those ideas. Decisions, decisions. We definitely want to enjoy some fall colors along the way. Which of those two would be best for that? We're leaving in a couple hours, so may have to flip a coin on it when we are there.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:05 pm

Can't help you on the fall color thing - but if I remember there are more aspens on the way to Electric Pass (but I could be wrong). Be sure to report back though and let us know your thoughts!

Return to Colorado