Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Forum upgrade to occur today 9-23-2010

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
 

Forum upgrade to occur today 9-23-2010

Postby Montana Matt » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:44 pm

User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: Ashland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 347 times in 187 posts

Re: Forum upgrade to occur today 9-23-2010

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:59 am

Forums are now upgraded. Please report any odd behavior with the new software (particularly with the log in system or with pages simply not loading) to this thread.

If you could provide a list of steps to recreate the problem, that would be very, very helpful. Thanks! :)
User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: Ashland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 347 times in 187 posts

The following user would like to thank Montana Matt for this post
vancouver islander

Re: Forum upgrade to occur today 9-23-2010

Postby WouterB » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:46 am

I personally like the user info/avatar on the left. Since it would also feel more like the classic look, I'd go for it. Especially as it's an easy fix.
Code: Select all
admin panel > forum width option > user profile left/right.


Also, I feel that allowing some [flash] would be a nice addition. I can see some minor issues with this, but these could be easily worked around. Good examples of these is dedicated BBcode tags for let's say youtube. Using only the identifier, makes it pretty safe.
Code: Select all
[youtube]{IDENTIFIER}[/youtube]

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/{IDENTIFIER}" width="425" height="350">
<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/{IDENTIFIER}" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
</object>


Also, read up on what phpBB3 can do in terms of spam-handling and security. Huge differences there compared to phpBB2.
Code: Select all
www.google.com


From my experiences, you might also want to point the other, less tech-savvy elves in the direction of some good documentation. The new tabbed phpBB3 admin panel is a bit hard to get at first.
Code: Select all
http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/phpbb3/phpbb_administration.htm
User Avatar
WouterB

 
Posts: 3135
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:54 pm
Location: Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Thanked: 13 times in 13 posts

Re: Forum upgrade to occur today 9-23-2010

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:33 pm

WouterB wrote:I personally like the user info/avatar on the left. Since it would also feel more like the classic look, I'd go for it. Especially as it's an easy fix.

I thought about doing that, but I actually prefer the avatar on the right. Also, I don't believe that it's as easy as you say here. It requires a lot of modifying of the templates:
http://www.stsoftware.biz/support/viewt ... f=17&t=528
WouterB wrote:Also, I feel that allowing some [flash] would be a nice addition. I can see some minor issues with this, but these could be easily worked around. Good examples of these is dedicated BBcode tags for let's say youtube. Using only the identifier, makes it pretty safe.

I have this on my list to do already. I was just too tired to do it last night.
User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: Ashland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 347 times in 187 posts

Re: Forum upgrade to occur today 9-23-2010

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:38 pm

We should allow ten levels of "thanking," instead of just 1. Otherwise this new form of meaningless apple-polishing will not match the votes on pages.
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7654
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 758 times in 491 posts

Re: Forum upgrade to occur today 9-23-2010

Postby WouterB » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:24 pm

Montana Matt wrote:
WouterB wrote:I personally like the user info/avatar on the left. Since it would also feel more like the classic look, I'd go for it. Especially as it's an easy fix.

I thought about doing that, but I actually prefer the avatar on the right. Also, I don't believe that it's as easy as you say here. It requires a lot of modifying of the templates:
http://www.stsoftware.biz/support/viewt ... f=17&t=528

Awch, I really hate it on the right. Poll?
On the technical side, I really thought that it was as easy as pushing a button nowadays. However, I'm used to doing it with pure CSS and that ain't hard at all either... .
User Avatar
WouterB

 
Posts: 3135
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:54 pm
Location: Hayling Island, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Thanked: 13 times in 13 posts

Re: Forum upgrade to occur today 9-23-2010

Postby Montana Matt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:04 pm

WouterB wrote:Awch, I really hate it on the right. Poll?
On the technical side, I really thought that it was as easy as pushing a button nowadays. However, I'm used to doing it with pure CSS and that ain't hard at all either... .
sjarelkwint wrote:It's just making the right part float to the left one ... Just plain simpel CSS-style sheet change ...


Yes, that's true. It's not technically hard. I could do it if the majority of people prefer the right. Feel free to make a poll.
User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: Ashland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 347 times in 187 posts

Re: Forum upgrade to occur today 9-23-2010

Postby Montana Matt » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 pm

OK, I switched the user info/avatar box to the left side. That should make many people happy :)

If you can't see the changes, clear your cache and reload the page. This can be done by holding the Ctrl button down and pressing F5 (i.e. Ctrl + F5).
User Avatar
Montana Matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:06 pm
Location: Ashland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 347 times in 187 posts

Re: Forum upgrade to occur today 9-23-2010

Postby Lolli » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:14 pm

Thank you!!
:D
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!
User Avatar
Lolli

 
Posts: 810
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: Sweden
Thanked: 108 times in 67 posts


Return to Site Feedback

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.