Fall Colors?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
KathyW

Fall Colors?

by KathyW » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:28 pm

Has anyone been leaf peeping yet? How do the aspens look in the Eastern Sierra so far this year?

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

Re: Fall Colors?

by Dave K » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:46 pm

They were looking good at Lake Sabrina/North Lake this weekend. Elsewhere I saw scattered patches.

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:23 pm

Ask and you shall receive!

The g/f and I just got back from a whirlwind tour of the east side, leaving L.A. at 0230 hours Saturday morning, and getting back about 1500 on Sunday.

Sabrina: Meh. Some color at the lake, quite mixed at this stage, LOTS of fishing craft screwing up whatever shots were possible. This is the only one from many that I took that I saved. Taken on the dam, about 1/2 way out.

North Lake: Didn't bother, always too crowded.
Lundy Canyon: Still way too green, but high above the canyon on the south rim, visible from around the fire station, AMAZING field of almost psychedelic orange and quite large. Didn't hike up. VERY green still at the 'resort'
Lee Vining Canyon: Still way too green. Two weeks.
McGee Canyon: Still green, although from the pack station area, beautiful orange and yellows way up high near the back of the canyon. Give it two weeks.
Rock Creek Canyon: Starting to go! Nice yellows further back, esp around RC Lake, where we'll be next weekend, but lots of boaters again, so we continued back south.
Pine Creek Canyon: Still quite green, LOTS of bicyclists from some race that seemed to be going on all over the Bishop/Crowley area. Two weeks.
Convict: Didn't bother.

Which brings us to where we spent almost all the rest of our time: the canyon of the south fork of Bishop Creek leading up to Parcher's/South Lake. It's almost all going off, now, except those awesome aspen stands around what I believe is called Mist Falls. It was yellowing heavily when we got there Sat. morning, but it must have snapped overnight, since it was visibly better Sunday.

From that really big turnout/picnic area about a mile south of Willow, I snapped one of the east slope going up Table Mountain, just to show a lot of the area we were dealing with.

Taken at the second switchback on the trail leading to Tyee Lakes.

Same place:

Taken from the bridge over the creek, starting point of the Tyee Lakes trail, looking south.

A mile or so south of Willow

Even further south of the above area

Same place, right as the sun came up

Taken by my g/f, w/her new Canon 5D, at the exact same spot and time as the above, only looking in the opposite direction at the exact time the sun came over the ridge of Coyote Flats. Sorry, it's protected, so I can't post it, you'll have to click through.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robinblack ... otostream/

brianhughes

by brianhughes » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:17 am

Last Saturday was an absolutely perfect day to climb Mt. Morgan, made even better by the fall colors along the way up to Francis Lake.

http://www.summitpost.org/image/665755/151316/fall-colors-on-the-trail-to-mt-morgan.html

EManBevHills

by EManBevHills » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Nada on the HST.

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:23 am

Thanks for the info on fall colors. I think it'll be the good old Aspen Grove in the San Bernardino National Forest again for me this year - the colors should be nice up there this weekend and it's a short drive for me. I'm heading out to Nevada and western Utah on October 9th or 10th, but the I'll be too late to catch the peak in most the areas I'm visiting the week I'm out there wandering around. Oh well.

Say yes to crack

by Say yes to crack » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:35 am

North Lake 10-5-10

The following user would like to thank Say yes to crack for this post
John Duffield, Princess Buttercup

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:47 pm

Say yes to crack wrote:North Lake 10-5-10

Argh!!!!!! I was JUST at North Lake last weekend and just heard about the snow, thinking I'd make it back up there this weekend, but it looks like the leaves will be gone. Nice shots, btw.

This was last Sunday Morning.....

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:46 am

butitsadryheat wrote:This has always been a good site to track where they are popping

http://www.calphoto.com/fall.htm

You would know ghey leaf boy! :wink: :D

Heading up to the hills this weekend, I'll snap a few shots.

no avatar
Tanngrisnir3

by Tanngrisnir3 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:31 am

1000Pks wrote:Watch out for CA Fall colors! Not to denigrate any of the good information that does appear, but they do not like anything that doesn't make them look really good. You may have some true and highly updated information, but by some reason it does not make it to the website! There was some bad information last year about it being an early fall, totally false.

There may be some connection to Big Oil, you cannot mention what they do not like, as global warming causing late color. And despite my many photos, they refuse to put a link to my website!

At one time, if not lately, the USFS provided an official link to them, and despite my own hiking and photography for the last 40 years, with accounts and photos pouring in, I do not exist by the USFS. Probably more enviro club at work, although I used to rock climb, which, of course, the USFS here does not recommend or support. Although elsewhere, it is encouraged or supported.

There are sad reasons to this, but you'll have to PM me for more. SP doesn't like this either!

There's mustard in your slingshot. DIMENSION!!!!!!!!

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:29 am

Some Fall Colors around my neck of the Eastern Sierra woods/hills....

Next

Return to California