Anybody ever climbed Chimborazo or Cotopaxi??!!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
CBakwin

Re: Anybody ever climbed Chimborazo or Cotopaxi??!!

by CBakwin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:56 pm

I always wonder, when I read threads like this, what ever happened to "wickedgood" as I see he has not posted since May of 2009, so we will never know how his trip went. It is interesting since so many people said the itinerary is so difficult (as surely it is) some said impossible, some said "more power to ya if you can pull it off" . I guess since he dropped off things did not go well, too bad, but I bet there is a good story.
Anyway, I like reading these threads where the guy is so pumped up, and us jaded types try to bring him down to earth, I hope he had a good trip, anyone know?

no avatar
jkup84

Re: Anybody ever climbed Chimborazo or Cotopaxi??!!

by jkup84 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:39 am

I found this thread near the beginning of my own Ecuador trip in late Dec., and have to admit that all the naysayers made me nervous, especially since the OP had a trip plan that was nearly identical to mine.
Unlike the OP, however, I hadn't really been doing anything in the month or so prior to the trip. It was the busy season at the retail shop I work at, so free time was basically nonexistent. Thus, no opportunities to climb, hike, or run. To put me at even more of a disadvantage, I live in Maine...at sea level...with nothing higher than a mile within 500 miles of me.
Anyway, I would hope that the OP had a great trip. I certainly did. We hiked Pasachoa, Pichincha & Illiniza Norte consecutively, starting the day after we all arrived. Then it was a rest day, and then off to Cayembe for 2 days, where we sat in the Refugio while it dumped snow for 2 solid days. Then another rest day, then the Refugio at Cotopaxi, then the summit (on our final day in country!). No ill effects for me, which was unexpected given my lack of activity in the weeks prior, and given that I chose not to take my Diamox for the whole trip. My friends didn't fare as well though. They all had mild symptoms of AMS (headaches, nausea/vomiting, irritability) despite their months of conditioning & use of Diamox. They told me I had an unfair advantage. Apparently, vegetarians (me) are some statistically significant percentage (can't remember) less likely to experience issues with acclimatization or altitude sickness. I figure it doesn't even begin to make up for all the hiking & running they were doing while I was working.

Really, the whole point of this is to remind people (myself included) that most advice you give is generally worthless. Had I found this thread months or days before I went to Ecuador, I may very well have canceled my trip based on the advice contained within. Likewise, other users looking at my experience may think training & drugs aren't the answer. Don't, don't, don't, don't worry about your fitness level, the water you're drinking, your itinerary, etc. Instead, remember that you're leaving on an adventure, so no matter what your plan is, it will get totally f!^ked by life, so don't stress about it. Really. Just have fun, and roll with whatever happens.

Previous

Return to South America