Moose at Katahdin

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
NW

Moose at Katahdin

by NW » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:02 pm

We took the kids up to hike a few non mountain oriented trails at Baxter State Park yesterday. On Sandy Brook trail we saw 2 mother moose with their young. They weren't shy at all and stayed eating in the water while we took pictures about 20 feet away. The first 2 are of the bull calf and his mommy, 3rd of the girl calf and her mommy and the last the obligatory Katahdin shot.

The following user would like to thank NW for this post
John Duffield

ytimk

Re: Moose at Katahdin

by ytimk » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Very cool! We were up there about a month ago and didn't get to see any moose. However, we did have a big pile of moose poop near our lean-to at Abol.

NW

by NW » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:57 pm

Yea we camped at Abol in August when we did go up Katahdin and didn't see any noteworthy animals (birds and squirrels were about it). Apparently the trail we were on yesterday is a very popular one for moose. We even saw a coyote on the road into the park, he was just wondering down the road. Didn't have a chance to snap his picture though since the camera was packed in a bag at the time.

chocodove

by chocodove » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:54 pm

Very nice. When we were up there in July we took that same trail hoping to see a moose. The ranger at Roaring Brook pretty much gauranteed we would. Plenty of moose crap and tracks, but no actual moose. After climbing the mountain are goal for the trip was to see one, and alas we failed. We even went as far as driving up and down the Golden Road staking out some of the ponds to no avail. I guess it's just another reason to go back!

EDIT: spelling

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:21 pm

I saw no moose and no moose-sign while on Abol and Hunt three weeks ago. :( Awesome that you did though!

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:33 am

Nice photos!

Dry Pond on the way to Chimney Pond is a good place to spot them, too.

NW

by NW » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:30 pm

Yea the moose definitely seems used to people being around. The mothers weren't even slightly interested in us, the younger ones would keep an eye on us and perk up their ears. It was funny though because they would make little calls to their moms and the moms just ignored them and kept on eating. I told my kids they were whining at their moms just like they do sometimes haha. We didn't expect to see anything. Nobody told us that moose were so frequent there. I guess when you want to see them there's none and when you're not expecting it they show up. At least we had our camera along.

dan911

by dan911 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:55 pm

I saw a moose 2 years ago at Chimney pond, from my shelter ! http://www.summitpost.org/moose-and-me/479604

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:03 pm

Things have sure changed up there Moose-wise. When we went up there for over two weeks in the Allagash in 1978, we briefly saw one Moose. Ten or so years ago, we'd go up to the Paper Company evenings and see 5 or 6.
A couple of years ago, we took, what seemed, a new Moose Trail along the lake at Katahdin. Was almost like a petting zoo for them. They were everywhere. I don't take photos of them anymore. Got loads.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)