Tahoe Basin Backcountry??

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
TyeDyeTwins

Tahoe Basin Backcountry??

by TyeDyeTwins » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:37 pm

I am going down to California near the Lake Tahoe Basin in late December and I was curious as to where the best backcountry skiing is? If anyone could list some suggestions of some peaks in the area it would be more than helpful. -Thanks-

ScottyP

Re: Tahoe Basin Backcountry??

by ScottyP » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:55 pm

How far in and how aggresive do you want to get ? Tahoe is full of great destinations. Check out this blog for ideas:

http://www.thebackcountry.net/bb/viewfo ... 65ccc97ef5

The following user would like to thank ScottyP for this post
TyeDyeTwins

paisajeroamericano

by paisajeroamericano » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:29 pm

tallac

paisajeroamericano

by paisajeroamericano » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:32 pm

oh, the snow park trailheads up on carson pass (near kirkwood) are pretty sweet too

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:57 pm

1000Pks wrote:We skied most all of the accessible peaks, details at my Northern Sierra Peaks Guide at my website, free for all. You do have to watch for avy danger, link at the guide pages. Though with lesser slopes and tree skiing, you are probably pretty safe. There's dozens of good peaks and areas to ski, parking is the main issue. We have Sno-Park, and you can get towed at some places, or a ticket. Maybe old details in my guide, we cannot stay updated as things do change quickly and no one tells me anything. Used to be I'd go out every weekend, but the local enviro club got rid of us all. A great sport, but as no one made any money off of it, it died. I'd recommend skiing for conditions, north facing slopes are the best for powder, but with sun and GW, it's hard for me to say now.

1000Pks- Vitaliy M and I plan on doing some Tahoe area peaks this winter- probably beginning in January for the most part. Do you want to meet up?

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:22 pm

1000Pks wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:
1000Pks wrote:We skied most all of the accessible peaks, details at my Northern Sierra Peaks Guide at my website, free for all. You do have to watch for avy danger, link at the guide pages. Though with lesser slopes and tree skiing, you are probably pretty safe. There's dozens of good peaks and areas to ski, parking is the main issue. We have Sno-Park, and you can get towed at some places, or a ticket. Maybe old details in my guide, we cannot stay updated as things do change quickly and no one tells me anything. Used to be I'd go out every weekend, but the local enviro club got rid of us all. A great sport, but as no one made any money off of it, it died. I'd recommend skiing for conditions, north facing slopes are the best for powder, but with sun and GW, it's hard for me to say now.

1000Pks- Vitaliy M and I plan on doing some Tahoe area peaks this winter- probably beginning in January for the most part. Do you want to meet up?

Haven't skied since 2003, so I'd be weak and slow. I carry tons of gear, and take loads of pictures. My boots may fall apart, they are so old, and skis can crack in half.

We'd have to meet beforehand, I do not waste my time on wannabes or pranks. Or video chat to get to know each other. I'd probably have to relearn my tele technique at a resort, the fastest way, and that is $$ for me. Probably best to do it without me. I've seen it all and done it all. I put myself and my gear at risk to do it again. And for what?

For the mountains, man, and for the joy of the "down!"

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:25 pm

1000Pks wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:

Haven't skied since 2003, so I'd be weak and slow. I carry tons of gear, and take loads of pictures. My boots may fall apart, they are so old, and skis can crack in half.

We'd have to meet beforehand, I do not waste my time on wannabes or pranks. Or video chat to get to know each other. I'd probably have to relearn my tele technique at a resort, the fastest way, and that is $$ for me. Probably best to do it without me. I've seen it all and done it all. I put myself and my gear at risk to do it again. And for what?

Let's do a trip on snowshoes/crampons rather than a ski tour. I take loads of pics too, so no issue there. We'd do a daytrip, so not too big a commitment involved. Not a wannabe and not a prank.

So are you in?

fedak

by fedak » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:27 pm

Must we turn every thread into a "Bickering with Pete" thread?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:31 pm

fedak wrote:Must we turn every thread into a "Bickering with Pete" thread?

What are you talking about? He and I have never met, he has posted some interesting stories lately, and I think it might be a fun outing to meet up for a day. So I am making an offer to visit the Tahoe Basin backcountry, which is the subject of this thread. How is this bickering?

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:43 pm

paisajeroamericano wrote:oh, the snow park trailheads up on carson pass (near kirkwood) are pretty sweet too

There's also some very pretty backcounty off the sno park trailheads near Bear Valley/Ebbetts Pass. It's perhaps stretching the definition of "Tahoe basin" but it's a lot less crowded. This snapshot doesn't do it full justice but gives you an idea...

Last edited by JHH60 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:53 pm

1000Pks wrote:1000Pks has some tight bucket list plans, incl. MT/WY in winter, and this detracts from that big time. I would never go back to snowshoes, and that you suggest crampons indicates some bad inexperience in the winter Northern Sierra. Love to carpool anytime but I need to know your driving and you. Sounds like a big NOOOO...

I've used crampons on peaks south of Tahoe, but yes, I guess that was more in the spring. There was a weekend in Lassen NP where I needed them in early March as well. Willing to do a spring trip too.

Have the experience, as you know if you bother to look. Never caused an accident in 17 years of driving. Have no points on my record. Will drive the speed limit if that is your wish. You say you would love to carpool anytime but it sounds like a no? I don't follow that, but if your position is that you do not want to join up and meet people you do not already know then there is not anything I can do about that. But you cannot say I didn't try. If you change your mind let me know. Offer stands.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:13 am

I know where Lassen is and you know that I know. Being north of the northern Sierra the snow conditions there would not be a whole lot different.

I'm not going to video chat but we can certainly talk on the phone or via email if you like. Like most reasonable folks I am not going to drive to your house first to meet you and then again to go out. But I will be happy to meet you the day of the outing. I hope you want to meet up and if that is good enough for you then we shall go have a great time. If it isn't, that is your choice.

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:37 am

Sheesh, are you guys trying to climb together or date ? Pete, lighten up.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:58 am

I sent you my contact info 1000Pks. I hope it works out!

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:04 am

To the original OP, check out the link I gave you plus this one. Sorry this post went a differnt direction!

http://www.thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1297

Some of the very best AND current info out there.

The following user would like to thank ScottyP for this post
JHH60, Princess Buttercup, TyeDyeTwins

Next

Return to California