Grand Canyon north rim access?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
Luciano136

Grand Canyon north rim access?

by Luciano136 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:09 am

Is route 67 still open all the way to the north rim? Would like to visit there soon but I have a hard time finding the road conditions?! AZ department of transportation is a lot more confusing than Caltrans.

Day Hiker

Re: Grand Canyon north rim access?

by Day Hiker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:22 am

I checked this yesterday when I read the post, but I wasn't sure if I interpreted the information right. The Arizona 511(?) website didn't show any closure for AZ67. Can we assume it's open if it's not labeled closed?

The grca website shows this:
mid-May to mid-October roads are open. visitor services and facilities are available.
mid-October to mid-November roads are usually open, check with Az Dept of Transportation. no visitor services and facilities.
mid-November to mid-May roads are closed to vehicles, gate is locked at entrance station. no visitor services and facilities, camping with backcountry permit only.

I do know that in the first line mid-May and mid-October mean exactly on the 15th of the month, regardless of the day of the week it falls on. That's determined by NPS. But I don't know if mid-November means exactly the 15th. And that's determined by ADOT, I think. But now it's getting really close either way.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Mr Leghorn wrote:http://www.az511.com/adot/files/traffic/

A lousy map, but it appears to show 67 open. This may change this week coming up as we are supposed to get a storm. However, the North Rim Facilities are likely shut down by now.

Yeah, I'm just not sure how much I could trust the info there. I might just plan on Zion and Bryce instead. We have some family coming in town and thought about taking a road trip over Thanksgiving. There wouldn't be a whole lot of hiking but it would be cool to take a side trip and show them the canyon.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:23 pm

Mr Leghorn wrote:Why not just call the park itself, they should know if the road is open.

Passenger pigeon if you don't have a phone ???

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

surgent

by surgent » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Consider a trip to Toroweap, along the North Rim about 20 miles west of the main complex. Toroweap is lower by a couple thousand feet than the North Rim. It's possible the north rim highway (AZ-67) could be closed, while the dirt roads to Toroweap be open. You'd want to call the BLM office in St. George UT. We visited Toroweap in May when there was still much snow up on the Kaibab Plateau, while at Toroweap it was snow free. Just an idea. It's an amazing place.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:07 pm

Toroweap is great, and the roads in (there are three or more) can be pretty mild-- or, if wet, they can be Hell. It's a fairly long drive over dirt roads -- I believe about 65 miles of dirt roads from St George side, slightly shorter by the NNE approach. There is a ranger living down there, and he does send condition reports.

Even in good conditions near Toroweap, I'd want a vehicle with decent clearance, at least AWD, and two spares. The last miles past the ranger cabin, to the campground and overlook, have some pretty rough spots. Don't get me wrong -- it's a great adventure and a beautiful place, just maybe more adventure than a car full of relatives expect, especially if you get stuck. Absolutely no cell service.

Zion would give the biggest bang for the buck. You can drive into the canyon, then backtrack and go up Kolob Terrace Road from the town of Virgin.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:59 am

Mr Leghorn wrote:the North Rim Facilities are likely shut down by now.

Absolutely positively. They shut down on 15 October every year.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:03 am

Yeah, I think Zion and Bryce is the best option. The other side trip sounds fun but 65mi of dirt road will be too much for this trip.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:40 am

Zion has a canyon, and Bryce has a canyon.

I'm not selling GCNP short, but you MIGHT experience the same luck that these folks had...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXBxE9Ymves
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:59 am

lcarreau wrote:Zion has a canyon, and Bryce has a canyon.

I'm not selling GCNP short, but you MIGHT experience the same luck that these folks had...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXBxE9Ymves

LOL, yeah that wouldn't be good. Should be sunny by Thursday though.

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)