Need help posting video on TR

Get HTML help, style input, and feedback on your pages from other SP members.
Bill Reed

Need help posting video on TR

by Bill Reed » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:34 pm

Haven't been able to figure this one out. Have a video on YouTube but all I've succeeded in posting is a link, not the video box with the play button in it. I know I've seen info in here before about how to do it but don't seem to be able to find it now.
Would greatly appreciate any help with this.
Thanks!!

MarkDidier

Re: Need help posting video on TR

by MarkDidier » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:00 pm

Bill,
Give this code a try, obviously inserting your YouTube URL.

<a name='chapter_2'></a><h3>Video</h3><object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mjUXHRPtAgg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mjUXHRPtAgg&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object><a name='chapter_3'>

I do have to confess I copied this straight from one of Bob Smith's albums. I pasted this exact code into my Page Practice Custom Object and it worked. So if the code works for you send Bob Smith the thank you!

I know little to nothing about HTML, so I would have no idea if there are any errors in the code. All I know is that it worked. When it comes to HTML code I am guilty as charged - I just look up other SPers code on their pages and insert it into mine. I owe several members a belated thank you!

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:43 am

OK, maybe I need to backup a little. Lets say I'm in the edit page mode-How do I insert the video? What I tried was "Insert Link", among other things, and I guess that's what I got, a Link.

Mark:That's one of the longest codes I've ever seen. Don't understand where to put it or where to insert the YouTube URL.

FortMental:Tried your suggestion also with no luck.

Sorry to be so not up to speed but it's where I live.....

Thanks again!
Last edited by Bill Reed on Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:13 am

Bill Reed wrote:...I'm in the edit page mode-How do I insert the video? What I tried was "Insert Link", among other things, and I guess that's what I got, a Link.

Mark:That's one of the longest codes I've ever seen. Don't understand where to put it or where to insert the YouTube URL.

Bill,
Try doing a copy/paste of this exact code into an object (your TR) while you are in the edit page mode. Then Submit Object and then go back and see if the video works. It should come up as a video for Joshua Tree National Monument. If that works then it's just a matter of figuring out how to replace the URLs - which unfortunately I don't know the formatting on YouTube URLs. If the copy/past thing doesn't work then I unfortunately can't help. Again, this code worked in my document.

phlipdascrip

by phlipdascrip » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:41 am

No need to replace entire URLs, just replace the two "mjUXHRPtAgg" with the code of your video, it's in the URL of any of your videos - you'll figure it out.

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Not having any luck yet.
Tried copying and pasting your code Mark, all I got was the word Video. Tried replacing the two "mjUXHRPtAgg" with the code from my video-no dice. Tried everything I could think to try to no avail.
Think I'll take a nap now.....

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:10 pm

Sorry Bill. Not sure what else to tell you, as I am HTML challenged. I don't really understand how it all works - I'm just really glad when it does. Wish I could be more helpful! Hopefully someone that is HTML savvy will step in to help you out.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:15 am

Bill, it's actually quite easy: Go to the youtube page of your video. Beneath it there is a button, called "embed". Click it and you'll get the code you need. Copy it to your SP page.

Et voilà!

If there seem to be blank pages on your SP page, simply mark the video code, then click the "noformat" button, which will get rid of unnecessary linefeeds.

The following user would like to thank Gangolf Haub for this post
Bill Reed, lcarreau

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Thanks, Gangolf!! That did the trick.

Return to Page Help