Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Ouray Ice - Feb 1st thru 5th

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
 

Ouray Ice - Feb 1st thru 5th

Postby rhyang » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:13 pm

I and two friends are heading to Ouray next week and will be climbing on Monday through Friday. We had a fourth person, but he had to drop out at the last minute.

A party of three is fun, but it would be more efficient to climb as two parties of two. Anybody interested ? We should have enough anchor gear & ropes, so all you would need is personal gear.

I don't know if SP email still works, but if interested feel free to PM me or Steve Larson. I can also be reached via email : basement.cat@rhysw.com
User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 59 times in 38 posts

Postby Peak Freak » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:26 pm

Dude, you're taunting me everywhere!!! I had just recovered from reading this on facebook last night.
Would SOOOOOO LOVE to go with you guys. Can't swing it. :cry:
User Avatar
Peak Freak

 
Posts: 797
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:14 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thanked: 12 times in 5 posts

Postby Haliku » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Just spent four days there last week with a bunch of SP members and others. The weather was great and so was the ice. My tools are already wanting to go back! Enjoy.
User Avatar
Haliku

 
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:42 am
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 2 posts

Postby rhyang » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Some other Cali SP'ers I know have been out there and it sounds great in the park, which is where I'm inclined to stay ... bc avy conditions sound a bit scary (I don't know anything about your continental snowpack -- I'm used to Sierra cement and Cascades concrete :) )

Eileen, I'm gonna have to make it up to Squamish or the Bugaboos sometime !
User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 59 times in 38 posts

Postby Roam Around » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 pm

the snow pack is complete crap - i can't vouch for central and sw mountains, but the front range in general has a nice thick layer of pure sugar next to the ground with a nice layer of consolidated slab on top of that.
Roam Around

 
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:27 am
Location: Longmont, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby mconnell » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:52 pm

rhyang wrote:Some other Cali SP'ers I know have been out there and it sounds great in the park, which is where I'm inclined to stay ... bc avy conditions sound a bit scary (I don't know anything about your continental snowpack -- I'm used to Sierra cement and Cascades concrete :) )

Eileen, I'm gonna have to make it up to Squamish or the Bugaboos sometime !


With the amount of snow they've had in the southern mountains this week, staying in the park seems like a good plan. The best climbing around there is over by Silverton (Eureka), but I don't think I would head there next week.
mconnell

 
Posts: 7494
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2001 4:28 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 336 times in 200 posts

Postby kovarpa » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:17 pm

mconnell wrote:
With the amount of snow they've had in the southern mountains this week, staying in the park seems like a good plan. The best climbing around there is over by Silverton (Eureka), but I don't think I would head there next week.


Whorehouse Hoses/Stairway looked good on Sat 1/30. Able to drive to TH in 2WD. BUT you do need snowshoes to get to the base of the climb. Will be smarter next time.
User Avatar
kovarpa

 
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:08 pm
Location: South Bay, California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby mconnell » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:32 pm

kovarpa wrote:
mconnell wrote:
With the amount of snow they've had in the southern mountains this week, staying in the park seems like a good plan. The best climbing around there is over by Silverton (Eureka), but I don't think I would head there next week.


Whorehouse Hoses/Stairway looked good on Sat 1/30. Able to drive to TH in 2WD. BUT you do need snowshoes to get to the base of the climb. Will be smarter next time.


Thanks for the info. Might be heading there in 2 weeks to take a look at Stairway.
mconnell

 
Posts: 7494
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2001 4:28 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 336 times in 200 posts

Postby McCannster » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:55 am

Anybody gonna be there the weekend of Feb 12-14? Me and the Alpine Club at CU will be tearing it up!
User Avatar
McCannster

 
Posts: 784
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:56 pm
Location: Colorado, United States
Thanked: 31 times in 19 posts

Postby kovarpa » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:51 am

McCannster wrote:Anybody gonna be there the weekend of Feb 12-14? Me and the Alpine Club at CU will be tearing it up!


it will be all melted out if it continues to be this warm!
User Avatar
kovarpa

 
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:08 pm
Location: South Bay, California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby Haliku » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:28 pm

:?: Comment based on? I know people who were just there this past weekend. The ice is doing well and will be fine in another week also. Its below freezing in Ouray at night. Cheers!

kovarpa wrote:it will be all melted out if it continues to be this warm!
User Avatar
Haliku

 
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:42 am
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 2 posts

Postby kovarpa » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:33 pm

Haliku wrote::?: Comment based on? I know people who were just there this past weekend. The ice is doing well and will be fine in another week also. Its below freezing in Ouray at night. Cheers!

kovarpa wrote:it will be all melted out if it continues to be this warm!


Lighten up :lol:

It just has been warm during the past couple of days. Yes, the ice will be just fine when you are there. Peace.
User Avatar
kovarpa

 
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:08 pm
Location: South Bay, California, United States
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Postby rhyang » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:12 am

kovarpa wrote:
McCannster wrote:Anybody gonna be there the weekend of Feb 12-14? Me and the Alpine Club at CU will be tearing it up!


it will be all melted out if it continues to be this warm!


Heheh :twisted:

We found a 4th person, thanks to SP. Having a great time, wish you were here :)
User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 59 times in 38 posts

Postby Haliku » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:07 am

kovarpa wrote:
Haliku wrote::?: Comment based on? I know people who were just there this past weekend. The ice is doing well and will be fine in another week also. Its below freezing in Ouray at night. Cheers!

kovarpa wrote:it will be all melted out if it continues to be this warm!


Lighten up :lol:

It just has been warm during the past couple of days. Yes, the ice will be just fine when you are there. Peace.


My apology I was multi tasking and took it as serious. Cheers!
User Avatar
Haliku

 
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:42 am
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 1 time in 2 posts

Re: Ouray Ice - Feb 1st thru 5th

Postby rhyang » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:44 pm

RIP Haliku :cry:
Taaaake !
User Avatar
rhyang

 
Posts: 8963
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:55 pm
Location: San Jose, California, United States
Thanked: 59 times in 38 posts


Return to Colorado

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.