Pages by deceased members

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Pages by deceased members

by Bob Sihler » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:26 am

After the recent loss of a member here, another member has brought up a legitimate concern-- what might happen eventually to pages "abandoned" by a deceased member.

I don't know what past SP practice has been, but unless there is a truly exceptional reason (like a truly awful page) or the family comes forth to give permission, I would not delete or transfer ownership of the page of a deceased member. In memorializing a lost member, we also memorialize that person's contributions to the site.

That is not to say that updates should not be made. If an important change is needed, you can contact the site moderators and they can make the change with as minimal a footprint as possible. But it would be better to keep the original vision and spirit of the page in accordance with the fallen member's efforts, out of respect.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Kiefer

johnm

Re: Pages by deceased members

by johnm » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:42 am

Bob, this issue has come up in the past especially with the loss of valued contributors. If you look at Rahel Maria Liu's profile, I think the standard of care is well stated there.

The following user would like to thank johnm for this post
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:35 am

johnm wrote:Bob, this issue has come up in the past especially with the loss of valued contributors. If you look at Rahel Maria Liu's profile, I think the standard of care is well stated there.

Thank you. That sounds like a reasonable approach. I appreciate the response.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:25 pm

Yes, I would keep the page as a memorial.

But . . .

I noticed that one of his pages is Harney Peak, a state highpoint and thus a popular destination and page. It was created in 2001, so it goes *way* back -- though Haliku edited it last on November 5 for some reason. It's a good older-style page, with good information and photos.

As SP pages for popular objects get longer and feature more photos, I can imagine newbies wondering "why does Harney look like this?" It would be good to have a statement on the pages themselves (not just the profile) as to why they are not changed. I didn't see such as statement on Rahel's pages.

If it's necessary to add new information, there could be a "below the line" section at the bottom of the page clearly noting what has been added since Haliku's passing.
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

Return to Site Feedback