WTB Boots for use with Crampons?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
bvbellomo

WTB Boots for use with Crampons?

by bvbellomo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:44 pm

I want to climb Chimborazo at the end of December, and definitely don't have the right shoes/boots. Most guides want something for use with Crampons. I likely will need to mail order these, as I live in Ohio.

paisajeroamericano

Re: WTB Boots for use with Crampons?

by paisajeroamericano » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:50 am

i think if you're paying for a guide, they will generally provide crampons and single plastic boots for the ecuador volcanoes - i've never been on chimbo, but that's how i did it for cotopaxi a few years back - now, if you're more comfortable using your own equipment, i can certainly understand that...

no avatar
bvbellomo

by bvbellomo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:08 am

I would much rather buy equipment in Quito. I live in Ohio, so anything climbing related around here is overpriced, junk or both.

I am worried I will get there, and there won't be much for sale, or at reasonable prices. Anything else, I can make do, but I am not going up chimbo barefoot.

no avatar
alpinejason

by alpinejason » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:31 pm

I don't know what the question is here? Are you looking for advice on where to buy boots? Or what type/brand to buy?

I would highly highly recommend against waiting until you're in Quito to buy boots. For one, as you mentioned they may not have your size. Heck, I've never been there and their selection might be pretty slim. Regardless, you need to break these boots in ahead of time! Buying boots a few hours before your climb will be bad.

What's wrong with http://store.everestgear.com/index.html? I've bought stuff from their online store. They are based out of Ohio and have a couple retail stores that I know of.

Otherwise, look around on the forums for your size. If you're in the market for a pair of La Sportiva Nepals I have some for sale. Size 45. Couple years old in really good condition.

no avatar
alpinejason

by alpinejason » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:32 pm

You can buy from Zappos too. Free shipping/return shipping.

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:26 pm

alpinejason wrote:I don't know what the question is here? Are you looking for advice on where to buy boots? Or what type/brand to buy?

I would highly highly recommend against waiting until you're in Quito to buy boots. For one, as you mentioned they may not have your size. Heck, I've never been there and their selection might be pretty slim. Regardless, you need to break these boots in ahead of time! Buying boots a few hours before your climb will be bad.

What's wrong with http://store.everestgear.com/index.html? I've bought stuff from their online store. They are based out of Ohio and have a couple retail stores that I know of.

Otherwise, look around on the forums for your size. If you're in the market for a pair of La Sportiva Nepals I have some for sale. Size 45. Couple years old in really good condition.

I might be intersted in your old LS Nepals. Will send a PM

no avatar
bvbellomo

by bvbellomo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:42 pm

I ended up with La Sportiva Makalu's, they fit and were on clearance.

Return to Gear