What's New in CALIFORNIA

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Deb

Re: What's New in CALIFORNIA

by Deb » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:14 pm

TacoDelRio wrote:If I may, here be my newest page: http://www.summitpost.org/north-baldy-r ... 80m/683345

Behold its endless prowess and such things! More photos going up later. Any tips on how to improve it are welcome. Negative crap will result in the page being named after you or something.

There is beer to be drinkded, I must go...

Take a break, dude! You've found/created/made/harassed every lateral 10' of Baldy! Has the mountain called the Rape Crisis Center yet? :roll:

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:12 pm

I like your route photo on your Baldy page TDR.

Put up my first mountain pages outside the Sierra in the past week.

A replacement for the previous Glass Mountain page, a short hike but actually very enjoyable and nice views. Was my favorite day of that weekend.
http://www.summitpost.org/glass-mountain/682716

and a page for Smith Mountain in Death Valley National Park. Sweeping view of the valley from the top.
http://www.summitpost.org/smith-mountain/683543

NewDayRising

by NewDayRising » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:22 pm

KathyW wrote:I deleted Mount Bago, Mount Rixford, Mount Pickering, and Pilot Knob in the Sierra - I'm not sure if I had pages on any other Sierra Peaks.

I deleted Tin Mountain, Dry Mountain, Canyon Point, Black Butte, Orocopia, Eagle (JT), and a few other desert peaks.

I deleted some other mountains in California too, but I'm getting old and can't remember the rest of the mountain pages I deleted (I probably had about 20 mountain pages); so there are some re-openings for those who are willing to create and maintain California mountain pages. I liked creating them, but I never was interested in maintaining the ones I created and you have to be willing to do both.

Looks like SP is losing another long time member (from her profile page) :cry: :

I have deleted all of my mountain and route pages. Now I'm working on deleting my climber's log entries and my photos. I'm just not interested in contributing to Summitpost anymore. Most of the information I'm deleting can be viewed at my Smugmug site.

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:04 am

NewDayRising wrote:Looks like SP is losing another long time member (from her profile page) :cry: :

I have deleted all of my mountain and route pages. Now I'm working on deleting my climber's log entries and my photos. I'm just not interested in contributing to Summitpost anymore. Most of the information I'm deleting can be viewed at my Smugmug site.

yeah, someone, who seemingly selfishly deleted all contributions without even asking others whether they might be interested in adopting them...

rhyang

by rhyang » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:18 am

SoCalHiker wrote:
NewDayRising wrote:Looks like SP is losing another long time member (from her profile page) :cry: :

yeah, someone, who seemingly selfishly deleted all contributions without even asking others whether they might be interested in adopting them...

Just so you guys know -- KathyW has been bagging peaks for a long time. The info she contributed was hers, and hers to delete.

I for one am sorry to see her go, but it's equally sad to see people here who think their "achievements" in this virtual world are somehow more important than the real one.
Taaaake !

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:39 am

I am sorry to see KathyW dropping out. I've used her reports for beta may times; but I normally go directly to her trip reports on other sites. Her reports on other sites have a human touch, and are generally more informative than stuff on summitpost, which tends to be constrained by formal and unspoken rules. I guess that says something about the SP format, or me.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
robot one

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:58 am

Deb wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:If I may, here be my newest page: http://www.summitpost.org/north-baldy-r ... 80m/683345

Behold its endless prowess and such things! More photos going up later. Any tips on how to improve it are welcome. Negative crap will result in the page being named after you or something.

There is beer to be drinkded, I must go...

Take a break, dude! You've found/created/made/harassed every lateral 10' of Baldy! Has the mountain called the Rape Crisis Center yet? :roll:

Baldy has that "come hither" look from all directions. Men can't help themselves. Good work TDR.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:19 am

rhyang wrote:
SoCalHiker wrote:

Just so you guys know -- KathyW has been bagging peaks for a long time. The info she contributed was hers, and hers to delete.

I for one am sorry to see her go, but it's equally sad to see people here who think their "achievements" in this virtual world are somehow more important than the real one.

Point one- it wasn't all hers, at least some of it was straight from DPS Road and Peak Guide, including multiple errors. That isn't the main point though so I'm not going to get into it unless you need evidence.

More importantly, no one said she should be able to delete her content from the pages if she didn't want to allow others to build on it. I doubt too many folks would care. What she should have done though, and what would have been less selfish, would be to edit the page blank and leave it blank if that was what she really wanted. If she had done that, then the empty page could still be adopted, and the new owner could rebuild it. There would be the bonus that other members' contributions (including summit logs, routes, photos, trip reports, and corrections) would remain attached without being lost or orphaned. That way she keeps her content but the rest remains together as the page is rebuilt.

It really isn't complicated. It's just about leaving gracefully and with the slightest bit of thought towards others.

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:36 am

rhyang wrote:Just so you guys know -- KathyW has been bagging peaks for a long time. The info she contributed was hers, and hers to delete.

Does not make one bit of a difference. It would have been a nice touch to ask before deleting.

And I am aware of her smugmug site since many years. I have even been hiking with her on one of her organized meetup trips.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:41 am

I like how my thread got off track twice in the past two pages.
Last edited by mrchad9 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:46 am

Looks like Marc put up another good San Ysidro page:

http://www.summitpost.org/face-lift-5-7-10a/683648

and Noondueler put up one for Daylight Castle in Death Valley:

http://www.summitpost.org/daylight-castle/682595

no avatar
KathyW

by KathyW » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:15 am

MoapaPk wrote:I am sorry to see KathyW dropping out. I've used her reports for beta may times; but I normally go directly to her trip reports on other sites. Her reports on other sites have a human touch, and are generally more informative than stuff on summitpost, which tends to be constrained by formal and unspoken rules. I guess that says something about the SP format, or me.

and I often go to your site for information when planning an excursion.

I'm still around, but less involved. I will continue to post info on the forum if I think I can post something that will be helpful to others - such as answering questions about current conditions if I've been in the area a person is asking about. Call me selfish, but I never even considered transferring the crappy pages I had here on summitpost. Most of them were not the most popular peaks and didn't have many people's photos or other data attached to them. The desert peaks I had don't really need new pages here - all the info is in the DPS guide or Zdon's book and they aren't very expensive to buy.

The weather is much chillier around here than it used to be in the old days - oh well, maybe it has something to do with climate change or maybe the MLC has infiltrated the ranks of Summitpost.

Anyway, what's new in California?

The following user would like to thank KathyW for this post
NewDayRising

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:28 am

KathyW wrote:Anyway, what's new in California?

Well I am glad you asked KathyW!

5UGNST1 put up a nice new page on Buttermilk Hill, just west of Bishop. The photos are kickass.

http://www.summitpost.org/buttermilk-hill/681856

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:40 am

Is anyone familiar with Ladyface in the Santa Monica Mountains? I've always wanted to put a page together for it. It's been a very popular peak in the Agoura Hills area since I was a kid. Even has a great spring-fed pond with perhaps the best tasting water I've ever shlurped billowing up from the depths. Ok - I gotta do this already.

Summit from the ridge (HWY 101 below):

fedak

by fedak » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:30 am

On the verge of saying, way to go, K, I am of similar views. This is one sick website! Bad information, bad vibes, and no climbing. Shame that your good info has to appear right next to the bad, but then it's the Net.

Pete, you are personally responsible for a very large fraction of the bad vibes on the California portion of this forum.
For someone who seems to hate this place, you spend an inordinate amount of time here pissing and moaning.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

The following user would like to thank fedak for this post
JasonH

PreviousNext

Return to California