offensive and off topic

Report bad submissions here in order to get them detached by the community. Also, post challenges to existing pages.
Gabriele Roth

Re: offensive and off topic

by Gabriele Roth » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:46 pm

just to clear some things ... I don't feel offended for my religion or my country or other : I think that the first rule to apply in all the things is the respect : if I, as a traveler, am visiting a country that I don't know and whose story I know only very partially and want to speak about it the first thing I MUST do is get deeper and complete info.
Superficial impressions and opinions can have value only for superficial and conceited persons who want to appear wiser and more learned and clever than they really are, and, to avoid criticisms normally say their vision was "humorous" : very poor taste !!
My opinion is that we have, here, absolutely gratuitous sarcasm and I still don't understand why

The following user would like to thank Gabriele Roth for this post
SoCalHiker

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Bruno_Tibet wrote:Bob, I read again the paragraph, and only found two words, "ridiculous" and "hoax", reflecting the author's opinion, and being potentially "offensive". All the rest stated in the paragraph are undisputed facts.

Bruno, no one disputes the facts. It's the tone that some find offensive.

Personally, the trip report does not offend me even though I was raised Catholic, and I think a lot of it is funny. I no longer attend church, and I have a generally negative view of organized religion. But I can still see why some people are offended, and I still think the timing of the submission wasn't good.

Cheers.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
kamil, lcarreau

kamil

by kamil » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:02 pm

I don't feel offended either, just the opposite, I had a good laugh quite a few times reading it. It also contains some observations that may be useful for a European highpointer - I ocassionally bag European country highpoints when I come near any of them, so thanks Wolfgang! It just in places becomes a political tirade, which I don't think is a purpose of this website, but to each their own...

McCannster

by McCannster » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:50 pm

It's a funny ass Trip Report! He's going through all these crazy shenanigans just to stand atop a tiny knoll in the Vatican because it's the highest point. If anything, it's a perfect example of how ridiculous the activity of highpointing can get. I frankly don't see what people are getting offended about. Is it the fact he's illegally sleuthing around the grounds of the Vatican? Is it because he posted this a week before Xmas? I don't really understand why everyone is getting worked up about this.

The following user would like to thank McCannster for this post
mrchad9

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:15 pm

McCannster wrote: I don't really understand why everyone is getting worked up about this.

It's the Nature of the human beast to get upset when these things appear in the Forum. Not for all, but for some..

Speaking of beasts, I wonder if it's time to throw another Yule log on the barbie, before Global Warming sets in ...?

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

hansw

Tom Lehrer - The Vatican Rag

by hansw » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:27 pm

What about a tune to lighten up this thread?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f72CTDe4-0[/youtube]
"I wonder why. I wonder why. I wonder why I wonder. I wonder why I wonder why. I wonder why I wonder!"
- Richard Feynman

The following user would like to thank hansw for this post
EricChu

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:18 pm

I wonder how long something like this would remain posted here if, instead of the Vatican and Catholicism, it was about Jerusalem and Judaism or Islam?

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:59 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:I wonder how long something like this would remain posted here if, instead of the Vatican and Catholicism, it was about Jerusalem and Judaism or Islam?

Very good thought...

I guess we all know the answer.

EricChu

by EricChu » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Yes - I object as well against reports like this. First and foremost, because it goes so much into off-topic subjects that the actual "summit" falls rather into "Oh, and by the way, I went up something". Second of all, the remarks he put in about the Japanese, for instance, and "How far has Christendom sunk that it tolerates Tunisians and Chinese within the realm of His Highest Holiness!" are not only offensive, but have lost nothing, absolutely and categorically nothing, in a site created for the share of a common passion that is as international and world-open such as SummitPost!!
All this I wrote to Wolfgang, in several comments, telling him as well how impressed I was with other reports he wrote and how I wish he would stick to his very interesting and positively "non-mainstream" style without falling into disrespectful remarks upon other cultures, but it looks as if I've met upon deaf ears...

EricChu

Re: Tom Lehrer - The Vatican Rag

by EricChu » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:12 pm

hansw wrote:What about a tune to lighten up this thread?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f72CTDe4-0[/youtube]
Haha - good one hansw!! :D

EricChu

by EricChu » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:17 pm

lcarreau wrote:
McCannster wrote: I don't really understand why everyone is getting worked up about this.

It's the Nature of the human beast to get upset when these things appear in the Forum. Not for all, but for some..

Speaking of beasts, I wonder if it's time to throw another Yule log on the barbie, before Global Warming sets in ...?

I love pictures of polar bears like those three - but the poor penguin!!!!!! :(

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:46 pm

EricChu wrote:I love pictures of polar bears like those three - but the poor penguin!!!!!! :(

The penguin is probably very tired after the swim from the Antarctic (where there are no polar bears), to the Arctic (where there are no penguins).

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
lcarreau

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:51 pm

gabriele wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=685435&confirm_post=4

+1 Gabriele

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:59 pm

EricChu wrote:All this I wrote to Wolfgang, in several comments, telling him as well how impressed I was with other reports he wrote and how I wish he would stick to his very interesting and positively "non-mainstream" style without falling into disrespectful remarks upon other cultures, but it looks as if I've met upon deaf ears...

... which tells you/us that it was done with utmost intention

and there is no such thing as bad publicity

radson

by radson » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:09 pm

gabriele wrote:http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=685435&confirm_post=4

Wow, thanks for sharing, I never would have read that report otherwise. What a great post by Wolfgang.

PreviousNext

Return to Bad Submissions